Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advice

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I got some manifold spacers I need to put in and spark plugs and thought if it would be a good idea to also change my coils even though they seem to be ok.

The mace set looks ok for the price. Does anyone have any idea if they are good coils. I was also interested in the underdrive pulley.

My car is a standard VZ V6 Wagon

I'm also going to paint the manifold cover as it is a bit worse for wear.

I've got a mace cold air intake that needs to go in as well.

You guys think I should get the underdrive pulley or not waste my money. The car is almost 300000ks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Do what you like for the other stuff, but an underdrive pulley is more of a race part and isn't really for a daily/stocker. You may end up with alternator undercharging or your power steering might not work as well at low speeds, it will also effect the speed of the water pump which might make it run hotter when you're going slow or stopped.

Last edited:

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
That's the answer I was looking for. I just needed convincing.
I already have overheating issues and the last thing I need is more issues.

I'll buy some mace coils and fit them up with new plugs and the manifold spacer and CAI I already have.

This should give me closure. I won't spend a cent more on this car as it's getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Cheers

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
U probably should sort your overheating issue 1st mate before u cook the engine and waste the money you’ve spent on coils,plugs etc

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I don't even know if it's an issue. The problem I'm having is that my car is never at a constant temperature. Every car I have driven the needle will stay put once the car reaches the operating temperature.

This Alloytec **** that I have will go up and down like a yoyo. When I drive it's sweet then as soon as I get to traffic it (temperature gauge nedlen) will go up slowly then the fans kick in sending the temperature down then if I do short trips the same thin happens again.

I don't know if it's normal but all I want is the needle to stay put.

I have changed the thermostat, water pump, coolant inlet gasket and radiator but the issue is the same, the needle always moves

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
My Ecotec used to be very similar the temperature would come up a bit then the fans would kick in and the fans would kick in and bring it down, just the way it was with that car no mechanical issues it might be the same with yours

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Try changing the coolant sensor?

Not yet. I did buy one but I haven't installed it yet. I will do that tomorrow

Bonus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
Sounds like the system hasnt been bled of air, theres a screw on the top of the radiator on the driver side, unscrew it until coolant flows out then tighten it. refill the system and keep doing that until coolant comes out immediatley. Should sort your fluctuating temps. Change the radiator cap too

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I've done all that still no luck. Maybe I need a pressure test on the system