Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advise ASAP

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The 2 front oxygen sensors for the LEO engine changed somewhere around the middle of 2007. So your old engine would have used the old type and your new engine the different type.
They have different shaped plugs as you probably know.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
So a question, if the 2006 and 2008 engines are actually the same, but there is a problem with the O2 sensors wiring (4 wire/ 5 or 6 wire sensors) being different, and a different loom is needed, wouldn't this suggest the exhaust, or part of it (specifically including the O2's) was also changed along with engine, so having mismatched O2's to the cars original wiring loom and engine management? If the engine only was changed with another engine of the same type (given the engine is a dumb block of metal) why would there be an issue with the engine management and the O2's if they remained as original in the car?

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Bosch Part# 0258007200.

Is this number means anything to you? If yes:

This part numbered WIDEBAND more efficient O2's are for WL V6 Caprice.

Is your car WL Caprice?

If it is, fitted LEO engine is NOT suitable for it.

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
The 2 front oxygen sensors for the LEO engine changed somewhere around the middle of 2007. So your old engine would have used the old type and your new engine the different type.
They have different shaped plugs as you probably know.

Hi yes the plugs were different, we had to change the original sensors to suit the harness of the new engine.
And no I was not aware of the change but that explains the reason they wouldn’t fit to begin with, I’ll definately tell the auto electrician about this in the morning and see if he can make up some kind of adapter thing or modify plugs to make the original type pair with the current loom.

Last edited:

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
So a question, if the 2006 and 2008 engines are actually the same, but there is a problem with the O2 sensors wiring (4 wire/ 5 or 6 wire sensors) being different, and a different loom is needed, wouldn't this suggest the exhaust, or part of it (specifically including the O2's) was also changed along with engine, so having mismatched O2's to the cars original wiring loom and engine management? If the engine only was changed with another engine of the same type (given the engine is a dumb block of metal) why would there be an issue with the engine management and the O2's if they remained as original in the car?

Hi the engines were the same, the loom used during the swap came with the engine so it is not the original loom.
The exhaust is the same one that was always on the car only changes made were the old engine and loom taken out all the bolts on transferred over new one put in, torque converter replaced due to damage, gear box replaced as original seized and the o2 sensors changed as originals didn’t plug into the loom.
Everyone who has looked at the car is stumped as to why the car isn’t accepting the sensors.
I am begining to lean towards I may have originally had narrowband sensors whereas the engines loom requires wideband so the ecm can’t work them right.
Either that or the dopes who did the engine swapped put the plugs in wrong or backwards, I should find out hopefully tomorrow another electrician is checking for pinned wires and to make sure they are all plugged into the right sensors.
The engine swap was all done prior to me owning it, it was brought from family and family also did the engine swap so I’m definitely not calling professionals names.

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Bosch Part# 0258007200.

Is this number means anything to you? If yes:

This part numbered WIDEBAND more efficient O2's are for WL V6 Caprice.

Is your car WL Caprice?

If it is, fitted LEO engine is NOT suitable for it.

Hi mine is definitely not a caprice I’d likely have less problems if it was lol, My part numbers are as follows the top one is for the original engine so my computers also and the bottom one is for the engine and loom that was installed.

5 wire (possibly 6 according to my local stores who stock it)Holden pn 920688286 Bosch pn 0258017123

4 wire Holden pn 920688636 Bosch pn 0258010047

I am guessing both are wideband although Holden would not confirm so I’m stumped as to why the originals would not plug into the engines loom, Holden can’t tell me if the cars had different sensor placements or different length looms, my car is a sedan the engine came from a Ute which has only recently became known.

Last edited:

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Go back to the original loom & o2 sensors, for your original engine.

Hi thanks for replying that is not an option according to Holden my original loom is not compatible with the current engine.
I have confirmed my original sensors were 6 wire wideband or also called air/fuel ratio sensors that are slightly different to the standard o2 sensors.