Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need all compatible gearbox models/numbers for my 95 VS V6 Ecotech Commodore

melocam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
The auto gearbox in my VS needs to be replaced as it has stopped working entirely. I want buy the part myself but I need to know
WHICH GEARBOX IS COMPATIBLE WITH MY CAR.
The car is a 95 VS V6 Ecotech Commodore. The compliance plate indicates that it was factory fitted with an M30 transmission.
Unfortunately I don't know what is currently installed as the sticker on the part is missing.
Can members please tell me any and all transmissions (model numbers) that are compatible? I am getting conflicting information while trying to shop. Any additional information would be appreciated.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
M30 just means auto, it's not the model number you need.

The same info that would normally be on the sticker is also stamped on the housing (may need to scratch away all the years worth of oil and dirt).

Right hand rear and just above the pan, the first 4 digits are what you need, shown in the example pics below.
Being around the 1995 era this is an important number to get and match a replacement.

eg:
6HDD = 1996 sedan auto
4HDD = 1994 sedan auto

181392d1345119825-need-all-compatible-gearbox-models-numbers-my-95-vs-v6-ecotech-commodore-6hdd.jpg

181393d1454142246-need-all-compatible-gearbox-models-numbers-my-95-vs-v6-ecotech-commodore-4hdd.jpg

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
ok, the numbers you need are,

95-97 vs auto to go in a 95-97 vs auto.

Good luck.

melocam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Model Number/s - Gearbox 95 VS V6 Ecotech Commodore

The same info that would normally be on the sticker is also stamped on the housing (may need to scratch away all the years worth of oil and dirt).

Right hand rear and just above the pan, the first 4 digits are what you need, shown in the example pics below.

6HDD = 96 sedan auto
181392d1345119825-need-all-compatible-gearbox-models-numbers-my-95-vs-v6-ecotech-commodore-6hdd.jpg

4HDD = 94 sedan auto
181393d1454142246-need-all-compatible-gearbox-models-numbers-my-95-vs-v6-ecotech-commodore-4hdd.jpg

Unfortunately I can't access the stamp on the housing, I am unable to see it as the gearbox is still in the vehicle, blocking my view, haven't removed it yet.
I can't view the jpgs you attached on my phone but the title of them states that 1 pic is of a 4hdd (1994) and 1 is of a 6hdd (1996). My car is a 95 commodore so what 4 digit model (ie: "X"DD) will fit mine?
Thank you for helping me with this.

melocam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
What does this mean in terms of the hdd model numbers? Ie: 4hdd (1994) 6hdd(1996). Your reply leads me to believe that a 6hdd would be compatible, is that accurate?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
No they are just example photos of what i had on the pc, you need to crawl under the car and scrape the crap off and look in the location shown in the pictures.

melocam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore

Being around the 1995 era this is an important number to get and match a replacement.

eg:
6HDD = 1996 sedan auto
4HDD = 1994 sedan auto

I cannot access the stamp as my view is blocked by the gearbox, which is still in the vehicle, I have yet to remove it.
I can't view your attached jpgs but the title of them leads me to believe that the number corresponds to the year of the car,
Ie: 4hdd is 1994 and 6hdd is 1996.
So what model number is the correct one for my 95 Commodore?
Thank you.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Then use a browser that you can view the pictures in, the location is visible with the trans still in the car.

And no, 1 of them will work and the other won't, but it depends on what is currently in your 1995 car.

melocam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Then use a browser that you can view the pictures in, the location is visible with the trans still in the car.

And no, 1 of them will work and the other won't, but it depends on what is currently in your 1995 car.

Sorry neither chrome nor Firefox will view the attachments via my phone, your attachments read as broken links.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Well cbf'd diagnosing the issue, the pics are re-linked from another thread... don't show up on my phones either so here's one that will to show the ID location.

6HDDid_zpsqpyb3tab.jpg

just checked and it's visible in firefox on android.