Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need good cleaning solutions for Phantom colour wagon

TomJones

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Holden Commodore SV6 Series 2 Sedan Automatic
Good evening, I am open to suggestions on how to clean the outside of the phantom colour wagon.
Some say use the brushless car washes ? Some say do it yourself but dont scratch the paint.

Any ideas how to do this without damaging the car.

Thank you in advance everyone.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
It all depends on how much you want you pay,
I have been cleaning our 5 cars for a few years now, VE, VY and 3 x Mazda 3's
[oops, wrong site to mention an opposition] :rolleyes:
And I am stickler for Maguire's, one of the best products I have used, either by hand, and by machine. ;)
[Buffer and DA Polisher]
My 2002 VY Calais looks like showroom conditions when its washed, but its hard to keep them [all the cars] clean with the recent rain we have had in Melbourne, however, its now easy to wash and chamois it with a couple of wax coatings on it.
I have done a couple of Nissans [Nissan Skyline & Pulsar Solaire] cars for a friend, and came up immaculate,
all of his friends comment, and the Nissan club members also
I have even been asked by a few neighbours if I would do their cars, where I think they think I would do it for nothing, as its only hobby.

In a nutshell, I don't think you can go past Maguire's,
and a bit of elbow grease, but everyone to their own.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
There are plenty of YouTube videos to choose from on detailing your car .

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I used to detail cars.
I'm glad I still like doing my own.

I'm not a fan of these detailing channels by guys who have messy cars, dirty vans or are doing the videos from their home garage which says to me they are not that good at what they claim to be doing.

Two of the best channels you can watch on detailing would be:
Forensics Detailing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRohBzY20wjsFGWS0Jzg/videos
I like this guys work mostly because of his purity and honesty. There are better guys, but he is so down to earth and doesn't have wild unbalanced opinions. Trys to validate claims objectively. Yes he seems to do videos from home, but is an exception to my rule.

The Youtube King of detailing would be Larry from AMMO NYC.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRohBzY20wjsFGWS0Jzg/videos
Larry and his attention to detail is extraordinary. All his videos are educational and, to me, enthralling.
Beginner videos here:
https://www.ammonyc.com/beginner/

He is currently introducing lessons from Kevin Brown of Buff Daddy, one of the best detailers in the US.

Oh and Pan The Organiser. The guy shits me, but he is good at detailing and regardless of what I think of him, I learn from him.

I am not keen on unrealistic results. i don't go to the level larry does, but get greater enjoyment from doing the job thanks to what I have taken in from these guys.

I am a fan of the new paint protection ceramics, and in particular, the new hybrid SiO2 formulas from Meguiars and Mothers.
They are controversial, but on investigation of the haters, they really don't cut it in the world of detailing. Just pissing in the wind.

What the spray ceramics offer is highly suited to what we do as car enthusiasts. Our cars drive our families and friends around and are generally not in a car show. These new age products protect our paints faster and better, from everyday gunk than the older time consuming ways and products. They make having a nice clean car easier for more people. Some want to go further but they do the job for most.

Meguiars, Adams, AutoGlym, Mothers. The bigger names in detailing. All good products.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Good evening, I am open to suggestions on how to clean the outside of the phantom colour wagon.
Some say use the brushless car washes ? Some say do it yourself but dont scratch the paint.

Any ideas how to do this without damaging the car.

Thank you in advance everyone.

Before you dive into the rabbit hole of detailing, invest in a microfibre wash mit and drying towel.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
When drying, the new consensus is that we should be using a spray lubricant in the form of, say, Maguiars quick detailer.
Don't use the old school leather or synthetic chamois.

Wash out of the heat and sun.
Hose the car first.

Use two buckets, and get a grate to go on the bottom.
One filled with a Mothers or Maguiars or Bowdens (not my preferred brand but it will get you started) car wash.
Wash from one, rinse the wash mitt in the other.
I use two mitts. One for the bottom half, the other for the top half.

The Bowdens products of what VS 5.0 will do ok starting out and they are easy to get from supercrap.

The drying towel should be a deep pile microfibre.
Before drying the car, grab the garden blower and blow out the water from panel joints etc.

Grab a clay bar. Again use a spray lube, like Maguires Quick Detailer.
Rub the car back with the clay bar. Clay bar will blow you away with how much schmutz is on the paint.
Keep turning and kneading the clay. Do a panel at a time.

From there you could go straight to something like Mothers CMX.

I wouldn't jump to that so much myself, but as mentioned above, detailing can be loaded with rabbit holes and alternating opinions of what is best.

If a hybrid ceramic isn't used, you could grab a few packs of applicators and high grade microfibre towels.
Do a quick 2 step paint correction process ending in a wax.

Last edited:

TomJones

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Holden Commodore SV6 Series 2 Sedan Automatic
Thank you everyone for your support. I am reading your posts and spending the time to view videos etc. Have a great week!!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
it’s not unusual to be loved by everyone... at the JC forum.
Your car will look the shiz.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
it’s not unusual to be loved by everyone... at the JC forum.
Your car will look the shiz.

Then you can ask -
"Whats New Pussy Cat" :rolleyes: "my nice clean set of Wheels" :D
:)

PS: Fu Manchu, you are showing your age :p lol