Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Help! 91 Vn Running Rough!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Would a starter motor on the way out cause the car to run bad on 2 cylinders haha? Or the ignition switch
Unlikely I'm afraid.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds like the starter has died. They wear out but also have problems from oil inside on the Buick from leaking head gaskets. Being a VN it's probably just old and has worn out brushes.

Jimmee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
Sounds like the starter has died. They wear out but also have problems from oil inside on the Buick from leaking head gaskets. Being a VN it's probably just old and has worn out brushes.
Alright thanks for the help mate I’ll have a look at that

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You could try bridging the starter with a screwdriver. I assume you have a fully charged battery?

Jimmee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
You could try bridging the starter with a screwdriver. I assume you have a fully charged battery?
Yeah definitely got plenty of charge in it. Sweet as I’ll give that a go soon

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Sure your battery hasn't gone flat from all this trying things out?

Bridging the starter solenoid with a big screwdriver will spark a bit, I'd wipe any oil away before I tried this. Also, if you have jump leads, you can connect the solenoid starter side directly to the battery to see if it spins.

Jimmee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
Bridging the starter solenoid with a big screwdriver will spark a bit, I'd wipe any oil away before I tried this. Also, if you have jump leads, you can connect the solenoid starter side directly to the battery to see if it spins.
Oh yeah I got a set of leads so I’ll just do that cheers mate

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Would a starter motor on the way out cause the car to run bad on 2 cylinders haha? Or the ignition switch

No. The starting issue could be ignition switch or more likely the starter.

The running rough issue is something else, I'm leaning towards a dead coil or the DFI module. Were the ones you fitted new or second hand?

Jimmee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
No. The starting issue could be ignition switch or more likely the starter.

The running rough issue is something else, I'm leaning towards a dead coil or the DFI module. Were the ones you fitted new or second hand?
Yeah, all parts are brand new. That’s what I was hoping it was in the first place but didnt do much when I put them in.
When I first got the car it would die when I plant it, and after about 5 - 10 mins it would just die altogether.
After replacing the plugs, leads, coilpacks, dfi module, and quite a few sensors. It wouldn’t die anymore but was just running very rough not at idle but just under acceleration in gear. That’s when I noticed it wasn’t running on cyl 5 or 2.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
May well be injectors then. You said you swapped injectors around and it still missed on 2 and 5? If that's the case, trace the wiring on the injector loom, may have a break.