Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help asap, vk86 berlina red efi blue 202

holden.chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
86 VK Berlina nd 95 VR wagon (for now)
Im at my limit with commodore motors!!! I love holdens but since my first VK got wrote off :rip: (Blond chick went through a give way sign in front of 6 cars and i was the unlucky one to be at the front :cry: ) I have had 2 VR's, sedan and wagon (Blew head in wagon), 2 VK sedans. At the moment im trying to deside if i should keep my VK with a lil paint and a new front bar it would look tough and when running properly it sound's like a small 8! BUT it is running like its done 600,000km. The dash shows 185,###km but im sure there has been a engine conversion at some point, Im still new to moding but I think someone has put a EFI red head and injector set up on a Blue 202??? Does this sound right? Other mod's are Genii extractors, 2'5" lukey's and I think it might have cam work cause I'v never heard a 6 sound so lumpy and beefy... I could be wrong bout the cam work though. So my basic question is would it be worth finding a similar reco bottom end and putting the EFI head and setup on that or just scrapping the car and not wast my time or cash? any other info would be gratly appreated as I feel like im :bang: I live in Vic if anyone know's a good place for reco work to be done?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
No such thing as a Red EFI, and no VK had a Blue 202 standard.
The EFI is from the VK Black motors, but the manifold is painted red from the factory, which is were you may be confused, common.

You could post up a engine prefix or date stamp of your block to confirm if its a VK or a blue block.
If its a blue block, I wouldnt waste any money as legally in vic your not suppose to have it in there, but it can be done with some swindling.
Is it definitly lmupy idle and not a mis-fire, would explain the lumpyness and it running **** house lol.

Should you scrap the car or put money into it? Really its up to you, if you like the car then yes put the money into it. BUT as soon as you start doing a engine rebuild its unlikely you will retrieve your money on it, its up to you. Personelly I love the VK's so I would be inclined to say put the cash into it.

Where in Vic, its a big place?

Also you use it a 86 model? I thought VK's only ran to 85?

holden.chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah ok that's confusing cause the head and manifold are red. Ok this is the plate in front of the radiator 8L19KFJ975537K, this is engine number VK561497, stamp on strut BVK059498M and model VK8VL19-213-V7Y, hope that is what u mean... as for the blue block not alowed in VIC the car came from SA and reg ran out. It dead set sounds like a 8 but it dosnt have the slow in and out idle of a cam, I didnt think a 6 could sound so loud and my dad has a HT monaro with 400 chev that he LEAGALY drags so i know loud lol. My mechanic did a compresion test and it came back Cyl 1=110 2=110 3=120 4=100 5=120 6=115 so the block is tyerd and the rings are gone cause there is a bit of blue smoke a high RPM. How much would i be looking at to rebuild what i have and in the end would i just be better getting another vk with low km's? Im in Ballarat nd i thought Vk only went to 85 to but according to the compliance plate it was built nov 85 but classed as an 86??? confused the hell out of me....

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
From the codes you've given me...
Holden, Berlina, Sedan
3.3 EFI, Year: 1986, Built in Melbourne
and its a VK EFI block currently fitted.

Im guessing your head has been painted red, as this isnt standard, and your EFI manifold will not bolt up to a red head.
Those Compression results arnt that bad, but yes its definitly getting tired.
You could definitly pick up a cheap engine for a VK, seen them go for a slab up to a couple of hudred, just be fussy with what you get as there is plenty around. Not sure what a rebuild would cost, but I would imagine if your paying a pro, you wouldnt get change out of a grand for a bottom end rebuild, but I could be wrong on prices. The best way is to go and get quotes.
Im from Gippsland so cant help with anyone local to you.
Also your right, its classed as an early 86, its the first I've seen like that :)

holden.chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just looked at the motor again with a mate and we think it is a black, Im a lil colour blind with dark colours lol would that sound a lil more on the money if it has a red head (head still has factory stickers on it) and ect ect my mechanic thought it was a red EFI witch are RARE as original brocky's lol so to speak. from the coeds does it tell u if its a blue or black?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Just looked at the motor again with a mate and we think it is a black, Im a lil colour blind with dark colours lol would that sound a lil more on the money if it has a red head and ect ect

as above.... Its a black block with EFI gear, it is most likely a black head to, COULD be a blue head... But DEFINITLY NOT a red head, just wont work :p

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Just looked at the motor again with a mate and we think it is a black, Im a lil colour blind with dark colours lol would that sound a lil more on the money if it has a red head (head still has factory stickers on it) and ect ect my mechanic thought it was a red EFI witch are RARE as original brocky's lol so to speak. from the coeds does it tell u if its a blue or black?

Sorry missed your edit.

No stickers on the head, that would be the Rocker Cover.

No such thing as a Red EFI, the EFI units are painted red, but they are not a red, as in Red,blue, black so to speak. The EFI is definitly nothing rare either.

From the Codes, you have a Black EFI block fitted.

holden.chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok thanks heaps for your help:thumbsup:(and by the sounds i need a new mechanic) Anyone else have some opinons on rebuild price, swap over info or just some advice on cheap but fun VK fast part setup's plz let me know :driving:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
When I was building my 173 up, b4 I even spent to much I saw a few hot 202's with minimal k's for under $1000.....thought about it, but then thought how I'd like to rebuild my own. $3000 later and I then had a freshly rebuilt 173 which has a bit of work done to it too. I only just recently sold that and the 5spd behind it for $1500.....so that was a huge waste, but overall I'm still happy with wat I got for it. Now buying an injected 5.0L to put into my wagz.....ever since I bought my VB with a 253, I don't ever wanna go back to a 6....even tho to start with it was a bit of a slug, but ya just cannot beat the sound of a V8....not even a crook 6 can beat the sound lol.

One of my brothers had a VK which was stamped 86, so there is a few out there.

If u rebuild the motor urself, u can prolly get all rings bearings and gaskets for under $400 for ACL ones, or u could prolly get cheaper brands on ebay. Then u can fit everything urself and it will save a fair bit....altho if ya know the right people ya can get away with it cheap. I'm good mates with an engine builder (he builds drag motors) and he charged me $100 to assemble my 173, and charged me nothing to put my 253 2gether, both were full rebuilds, I just bought parts and spent the cash getting machine work done...I do a bit of work for him too tho so it all works out in the end.

holden.chris

Reaction score
Members Ride
what are the advantages of having a 173 over a 202? witch would be easyr/cheapr rebuild and intsall for me to do at home? i have limited tools/money and space but can improviz. Im thinking it might be best to just pull the block out and cleap/replace/rebuild it all myself. Cheers for your help

Last edited: