Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help asap vp V6 still smoking

Newbie1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive V6 3.8,VP Exceutive S2 3.8L 5speed
Hey guys I need your help asap I got oil leaking onto my extractor/exhaust under the bonnet drivers side I thought it was the rocker cover gasket so I replaced them with new ones and it was still smoking I let it run for about 15-20mins and still smoke so I decided that maybe I didn't tighten the rocker covers tight enough or I didn't put gasket on correctly so after 3 goes at putting the rocker cover gaskets and tighting them up to 10nm I decide there on correct and tight enough and still smoking under the bonnet there's no oil in water or vice versa no power loss nothing else wrong except the smoke coming from the extractor/exhaust drivers side under bonnet.
Could it be exhaust/extractors gasket or what I'm stumped and need your guys help please thanks
PS I was just gonna buy a gasket kit from Repco and do all gaskets but thought I would ask all use first

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pretty common for the heads to leak oil on the Buick. Have you cleaned the engine since replacing the gaskets?

Newbie1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
No haven't cleaned properly yet just with rag and alittle bit degreaser but it only started after driving about 20kms and got home and it was smoking alittle bit and the started to smoke abit more

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The other common leak is from the steering pump.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd start with a good clean.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Give it a good pressure wash,dry it off with air blower...fire it up & start counting all the leaks.

My v6 was like a sieve when first got it,fixed majority except sump gasket that just pressure washed it 3-6 months as didn't drip on ground so didn't bother.Steering rack was cursed with leaks,fix one it leaked elsewhere.

Newbie1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alright guys cleared it up and started it took it for a quick spin when got home pop bonnet it was the same and there is smoke coming out exhaust too now not to sure if it was before thou but it's still running fine I think probably head gasket what's your guys thoughts cheers and thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Blue smoke out the exhaust suggests rings as a minimum. When the HGs leak oil on the Buick its not normally internal. Commonly it just runs down the side of the block. Its not often much of a leak and can go for 100k and not get a whole lot worse.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
How much oil does the engine use? Is it worth worrying about.

Newbie1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's not blue smoke just whiteish and it doesn't seem to be using much oil nothing I'm noticing or nothing unusual well it's got me might start all over again and see how I go and quadtriple check but any ideas guys other thoughts use have please let me know thanks