Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help changing front sway (stabilizer) bar bushes

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I've searched and searched the site and it seems like it's an easy job, just undo the 4 bolts, replace the bushings and put the bolts back in but I suspect these are for V6 commodores.
I can feel the bolts i need to removed from under the car and I can just see the plates that hold the bushings from looking down from inside the bonnet but there is so much stuff in the way that I just can't see any easy way to get a spanner or a socket down there to unto the bolts.
Could anyone give me some points on how to get change the bushing please? This a mates car and I owe him a favor.
I have looked through the Max Ellery repair manual and it has 3 very basic steps which are not helpful as they would only really work if the engine, radiator, air con, etc etc were removed which I don't want to do.
Any tips or links to how-to guides for a V8 VY Commodore would be greatly appreciated.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Do not undo all 4 bolts at all costs!!!. With the car on jack stands SAFELY, support the front of the k frame in prep for dropping it. Undo the front 2 bolts progressively as you also undo the rears. Good idea to remove a front bolt altogether to see how much thread is there and at what point it will disengage the chassis.

You want to hang the k frame on the rear 2 bolts whilst the front 2 are out and the k frame is supported. If you remove all 4 it will be a nightmare to get them back. I've only done this on V6s so there may be some differences with the LS

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The gregorys VT to VZ V6 /V8 manual says that to remove the front swaybar (stabiliser bar) to do the following-
Raise vehicle and support on chassis stands.
Remove the nuts, bushes and sleeves from the link bolts that attach each end of the stabiliser bar to the suspension strut.
Note order in which the parts were removed.
Remove the stabiliser bar clamps and rubber bushes.
Remove the stabiliser bar, making a note of which end goes to which side.

Inspect the bushes and link bolt grommets for wear or splitting etc.
Apply multi purpose grease to the bush area on the swaybar before refitting the bushes and clamps.
Make sure the slits in the mounting bushes face the front of the vehicle.
Make sure the bar is centered in the bushes and clamps before tightening them.

Theres no mention of working in or down through the engine bay, everything is done from under the vehicle.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Big al, which bolts are you refering to? The links on the ends or the d bushes in between. When the car is on ramps or stands they should be easy enough to get to surely. Either from underneath car or under bonnet.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Finally got the damn things changed. what a bastard of a job.
Thanks for the tips guys :)

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I missed this thread but when I did my D bushes I could get to 3 of the bolts with a 3/8 x 600mm long extension from above and 1 bolt with a ratchet spanner.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I also had problems accessing the drivers side sway bar d-bush on a ls1 VX Commodore.

I got the front right bolt off using a plain spanner, but i could only turn the nut 1/6th of a turn. Painfully slow!

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Ok, what i found that makes changing the right (drivers side) sway bar bush with Commodores with the ls1 5.7L V8 is to:

- jack the car up and put it on jack stands

- remove the front right wheel.

- remove the two 13mm nuts using preferabley a ratchet ringy, but a normal spanner will do (time consuming)

- to get the bush off the bar, jacking up the suspension strut helps.

- try to clean the sway bay the best you can with a rag

- to put on the new bush really lube up the inside of the new bush with the provided grease, to ensure the bar can move smoothly and quietly through the bush during operation.
(I found you can put the bush on the sway bar with in the wheel well and the slide it into position).

- put the sway bar bushing bracket on over the bush and finger tighten the two nuts.

- then tighten the two nuts bit by bit to make sure it seats evenly.

- clean up the excess grease, refit the wheel and enjoy!