Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEED HELP, Clutchs

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
Hey guys, im new the these forums and i need some help..

I have a 1987 VL 5 speed N/A with exhaust, extractors, stage 2 chip and cold air intake and my clutch just isn't hacking it, i bought a EXTREME Heavy duty one from ACS down here in adelaide about 3 months ago and its just to close to the floor and slips way to much, im looking at gettin a button clutch but im not sure, whats the best type of button clutch to get, and also will the VL Turbo one fit my car, as i have a fully rebuilt MX7 gearbox out of a VL turbo..
I have been looking on ebay as there are alot of cheap ones on there some seem to look like a normal clutch and the others are like 5 spoked sort of like there not a complete disc what ones are better to get, any help will be good..

Cheers Daman

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
hey mate, firstly good work on buying a extreme clutch, aussie made ;) but more to the point, unsure cos im referring to a vr, but im assuming ur clitch is a cable one, cant u adjust the pedal from on the adjuster bolt just outside the bellhousing where it connects to the pivot fork? give that an adjustment and you shouldnt have a problem with height, itl raise the pedal higher BUT i dont think it will change the grab point. give that a shot.

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL

Sorry to say, my car is hydraulic, hence the needing of better clutch haha..

Ive tried the adjustment on the pedal which just moved the pedal out and did nothing, I wish i have a t5 with a cable like u ahah

But i dont. :(

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Sorry to say, my car is hydraulic, hence the needing of better clutch haha..

Ive tried the adjustment on the pedal which just moved the pedal out and did nothing, I wish i have a t5 with a cable like u ahah

But i dont. :(

Alright well firslt the sucks balls. Is there a possibility to adjust the pedal stopper on the clutch pedal? My car doesnt have one but ive herd of other cars having them... it shud be at the top of the pedal...

Last edited:

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL

Uh i think thats what i adjusted, but not sure.. im pretty sure im needing a new clutch though haha wouldnt mind a button clutch like for better shifts, as my car is used for alot of skids haha.. and i need that all important shift into 2nd gear which i am finding my self missin due to my clutch slipping... and or just not engaging and i am slamming my synchros because of it.. :(

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
well as for button clutches, literally you will be getting slight wheel spin(just like a quick loss of traction) to be able to start moving, cos its either IN or OUT and city driving would end up being hell so id stick with the heavy duty. Did you consider chaning your gearbox oil? buy some brand new fluid, put it in there may help with the crunchy gear changes if there so rough? Has you clutch always been like this or.. only started recently? Who put it in for you?

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL

Gearbox was only rebuilt about 2 months ago done about 1500 k's so cant be oil and clutch has always been at the floor but recently started to get worse, maybe its just worn, I have had a car with button clutch before and i have got used to it but just dunno about one for this car

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
hmm. well comes down to who installed it then i suppose, like im aware its possible to adjust the fork on the houseing (when the houseing is out ofcourse) to change pedal height but tbh wouldnt know where to start myself, only know it can be done. If it was done preoperly they would have used an alligning tool etc if they didnt then theres the problem its not on dead centre... then again.. i wouldnt be able to think of any other reasons mate.

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL

Yeh i installed the clutch at a mates dads mechanic place with fully qualified mechainic watching and helping, but the clutch not being dead centre how mch problems can that cause, i used a clutch allining tool, and the ford adjustment sounds interesting like it could help ill ask my mechanic tommoro about that one..

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
if you used the aligning tool and it went in properly then you shouldnt have a problem, possibly worn thrust bearing? you put a new one in with the new clutch right? you greased up the spigot bearing when you installed it first? il be defs outa ideas what it could be mate, goodluck with it though.