Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Help With Cruise Control

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
hey all
i have bought the cruise control module and the cable needed as well as the arm that turns it all on, now i know i have to get that brake switch

now i want to install it all but am not sure where exactly in the engine bay does the module go and am not sure if i got the bracket for the module as well also what exactly is the brake switch called so i can go and buy it,

any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Alen

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
you should already have the brake switch (how do the brake lights work....) the module bolts to the engine bay on the passenger side wall.

R

rattattack1313

Markovr just put a cruise control into my Vee Pee for me the other day......I had to get a brake switch for it..from our old shell in tha yard..( about the only good thing left on it!!)...there is a few holes in the brake- bracket, so installing that was the easy part......and then we drilled a hole under the airbox to mount the module on...then put the controls in the dash....then I ran outa time..so next week I will be putting the wiring harness in..gotta drill a hole in the firewall for that......here is some pix.....

Attachments

• 1 brake switch.jpg
    1 brake switch.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,887
  • 2 brake switches.jpg
    2 brake switches.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,012
  • brake switch.jpg
    brake switch.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 1,944
  • module on chassis.jpg
    module on chassis.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,933
  • dash control.jpg
    dash control.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 1,802
  • top of throttle body.jpg
    top of throttle body.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,114
Last edited by a moderator:

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
sweet thanks guys i hav all the info i need and ratattack thanks heaps for the photos talk about service......cheers
Alen

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok i looked inside the engine bay and could not see any holes for the module so i am assuming i hav to drill them my self, now for the wiring could a vs executive (may97 series2)possibly have the loom already there as i cant see one and was under the assumption that there was one there, could some one let me know if it does, thanks
Alen

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
If you have factory electric windows and it was fitted from new (it should have a mid series bcm )and not a dealer or aftermarket fitment it is likely that the wiring is in the loom already.The giveaway is the 8 or so pin plug for the stepper motor actuator that will be taped back on the loom on the passenger side somewhere between the airbox and the strut tower. The mounts have to be drilled to the inner guard to mount the stepper motorbut the previous picts show the throttle body of a vn/p/r mounting which obviously is different for a ecotech like on a vs.
This is the brake switch I used and the plug you are looking for to fit the actuator stepper motor.
Also a diagram of the installation on a vr...most is the same as a vs except for throttle body attachment setup.

Attachments

• cruise switch 2.jpg
    cruise switch 2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,325
  • cruise plug 2.jpg
    cruise plug 2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,590
  • cruise diagram mod.jpg
    cruise diagram mod.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 26,252
Last edited:

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok i have just found out that i have a low bcm, does that mean i cant install the cruise control, i checked the steering colum and no extra wiring there, and no wiring in the engine bay,

just need to know weather i am wasting my time, cause i really do want the cruise control.

any ideas guys.....thanks
Alen

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
There is a kit that is made by gmh that allows you to install cruise control into a car with a low series bcm.Basically all the bcm does is latch (keep it on)the supply when you push the on button for it on the stalk.All the other functions dont need anything from the bcm.The latching module in the kit goes under the dash and looks like a big relay near the steering column.I've seen it on ebay but I dont know if you can still buy it factory.

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
cool thanks for that ill c what i can dig up.
cheers
Alen

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
Stuck

Hi there im justwonderingif anyone can help me out! i have installed the cruise into my VR but i knoe it wont work with a LOW bcm that of which i have.. and i also knoe that there are kits out there im just not able to find one can anyone help me out?