Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help diagnosing problem. Nothing on internet.

Luke_96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore 3.0L LF1
Hey everyone first post on here and looking for some honest feedback. I was driving around yesterday on my way back from flinders and whilst I was driving down a dirt road I gave it a bit to lose traction no problem arose after this, until this morning. I was driving through my local streets and was stopped at a roundabout with one car ahead of me. I pulled forward as the car in front had gone, when I accelerated it felt like I lost traction, thinking this is very odd as I barely put my foot down I tested the throttle again as I went through the roundabout, again it felt like I was losing traction but neither of the wheels had, I did have a esp fault come up on the dash but can’t remember exactly what it was. I will note. The car has always had a problem transferring power from the engine to diff. I have gained some power back but replacing timing chains, spark plugs and belts. It also has a rattle noise on the start of accelerating like a diesel truck.
My questions are:
Does the car losing traction yesterday have anything to do with it?
Do I have to replace the diff?
Is it worth fixing?
As I know a little bit about engines but I have no knowledge on the rest of the car or very basic at best. I do need help to figure out what is wrong and can’t afford for a mechanic to look at it.

thanks everyone

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
more likely a gearbox issue from what you have described.

Luke_96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore 3.0L LF1
Thanks mate, Hopefully that’s what’s wrong and will get back with the results.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Auto trans?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Check the fluid condition and level in the trans. No dipstick so you have to check it via the plug at the rear of the pan. With the car running and warm, loosen the plug until fluid comes out, if none comes out, it needs topping up. If it smells burnt it needs replacing.