Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help doing some homework... 83 vh sl fitting 307 sb ?????

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
K frames same between 6 and V8.

LIAMJ VH MISSION

Reaction score
Members Ride
83 VH SL COMMY
alrite now im gettin somewhere... im gonna do a bit of hunting around for a 308 donk see what i can come up with and probly get back here to work some more things out.. thanks all of you are gettin some serious drive behind me to stuck into this build.. id like to be able to go for a cruise by next chrissy with it looking and running neat.....

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
a healthy 308 will sound at least as good as a Chev, if not better. The Holden V8 is well known for having a great note.

Easy conversion, I did it on my previous VH.
Engine literally drops straight in, using V8 mounts. Unplug your 6 cyl harness from the firewall plugs and plug the V8 harness straight in.
You'll need a V8 radiator
If you haven't got a set of aftermarket front springs already, then you'll need a set of V8 front springs.
You can keep your original steering rack if you like. Generally speaking all V8's were standard with power steering, but if you want to work on the biceps, a non-pwr rack will suffice (I kept my non-pwr rack). Will need the right gearbox mount for whatever gearbox you use. May need a V8 tailshaft to fit.

Front discs are the same on 6 & 8 cyl VB-VK. V8 Commodores were standard with rear disc brakes, so you'll really need to upgrade to do things right if you have rear drums.
You could easily knock the conversion over in a day

LIAMJ VH MISSION

Reaction score
Members Ride
83 VH SL COMMY
darren awesome as... thats straight forward as.. and my whole hunting mission is over my mate here at work has a red block 308 from a old hz statesman i think he said with an auto tranny bolted up maybe turbo 400 to it was from his grandpas old toy hes grandma told him the last time it was running was running sweet but ran out of fuel has not been ran since... whats the best thing i could do to this engine has been sitting for around 8 9 years i dont want this engine as my pride and joy i want to buy another 308 to build up properly as i im not going to bother with my chev.. as ma car is registered still id like to get the v6 out go have it sprayed out inside and out when i get back have my mates 308 and auto ready to drop in and use as ma work pig for a little bit... vicroads gave me a christmas present of my full vic licence just before christmas after not having one for 3 years was a nice surprise in the mail... but yeah whats the minimal i can do to this engine besides oil change and change all the cling on parts alternator, starter, dizzy, anything important i should look into ????

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
You may want to check with Vic Raods whether you can fit a red motor to a VH.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Its red. The blue engines came out in the mid 1980s during the VC/WB/VH run.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
when i say 'blue' am more referring to the U shaped port. i think Hz had a U-shaped port, so can hook up egr.

That doesn't make it legal though Ari...:p

HZ had the red motor, regardless of the EGR it's a red motor. Which means, no go in a VH.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok, got my book out. it says "HZ onwards had a square shaped EGR port" which is the same as VK black

HZ was released in 1977 and had:

retarded camshaft timing
EGR
carbon cannister

all to meet ADR 27, which is the same as the VH 5.0 liter blue - option L31. the only real differences i can spot is that the HZ has a comp ratio of 9.7:1 and the vh 9.2:1 the HZ had 170kw@5000rpm and the VH 126@4400

i cant see any problem with fitting that partiular red engine into the VH. paint it blue if it makes you feel better. but it meets ADR 27 and thats all they care about.

Last edited: