Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help finding the right cam

Freckle hole

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve ss ute
Hi guys I'm new to this site and am needing some help.i have just bought a 2010 ssv commodore ute the motor has been rebuilt recently and upgraded all internals to ls3 spec including heads and ls3 standard cam. It is automatic as well. I want to upgrade the cam to get a nice cranky sound and better punch off the mark up to about mid range. Any suggestions and is there anything I need to do as well as cam change? Any help or advise will be much appreciated

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
get a nice cranky sound and better punch off the mark up to about mid range.
These things are normally mutually exclusive. You can usually have one or the other but not both. Any “lumpy cam” at idle is going to be sacrificing torque at the lower to mid range to some extent as the lumpy idle is mostly from valve overlap which makes the engine less efficient at lower rpm’s.

It’s really a question of how much bottom end your willing to sacrifice to get a lumpy sound. Another possibility is making the lumpy sound happen in the tune, which you can do as it’s an automatic. Although having said that it’s not for everybody and it only works while the car it in park or neutral.

Last edited:

Freckle hole

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve ss ute
These things are normally mutually exclusive. You can usually have one or the other but not both. Any “lumpy cam” at idle is going to be sacrificing torque at the lower to mid range to some extent as the lumpy idle is mostly from valve overlap which makes the engine less efficient at lower rpm’s.

It’s really a question of how much bottom end your willing to sacrifice to get a lumpy sound. Another possibility is making the lumpy sound happen in the tune, which you can do as it’s an automatic. Although having said that it’s not for everybody and it only works while the car it in park or neutral.
Was also thinking of super charging at some stage if that changes it at

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Was also thinking of super charging at some stage if that changes it at
Your best off doing it all in one go then as you will probably use a different cam for SC than NA.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You might find with an SC that you don't need a cam. If I had the money and a car with a stock cam I'd go SC all da. Might be say $6k for a cam install and $10k for an SC, but the SC will win hands down. A lumpy cam even with the best tuner around still won't be as good off the line as it will be with a stock cam. Also if you have an auto, you're going to need a stally, so need to budget an extra $1800 - $2000 for that.

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
Good replies thanks everyone.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
SC would make you happy and likely what you want. You can add a cam with tge supercharger and it will have a lumpy sound.

If you just went N/A with an upgraded cam you can have a lumpy note without loosing any bottom end. Stage one and two cams generally give a small increase in power accross the board with no loss in power down low with a slight lumpy note.
Start going bigger and you loose the bottom end.

I personally would add a N/A stage 3 cam with a supercharger, but thats me.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Sloppy stage 2 or Truck Norris