Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEED HELP - Gearbox Seals?

Wherry951

PROJECT UNDERWAY
Reaction score
Members Ride
*I dont know much about this topic so explaining things would help*I need to know quite soon as i have some personal stuff going on atm and im rushed to get this car

Hi well basically im getting this VS commodore and he's said it needs the gearbox seal doing. I dont know how bad it is. Its in a different area to where i live, about an hour or so away. He's told me that i wouldnt be able to drive it home because it would be out of oil by then etc.

Does anyone know how much this will cost, and how long it will take. Also is it easy enough to do at your home?

**Also we were thinking of just driving it home with my mate in another car and just keep topping it up with oil. WOULD THIS BE POSSIBLE? And then when i get it back home i can book it into a mechanics to get fixed. I dont have much to spend, so if its gonna cost a shitload, i would like to know.**

Thanks =)

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
If it's an auto, it could be the pan gasket ??
It costs less than $20 to buy, takes about 10 minutes to change with a socket set. Then you just need to fill up the oil and away you go.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the box is stuffed,then it will cost around 2 grand for a fully reconditioned box.You can get ones from a wreckers cheaper though.

Wherry951

PROJECT UNDERWAY
Reaction score
Members Ride
If it's an auto, it could be the pan gasket ??
It costs less than $20 to buy, takes about 10 minutes to change with a socket set. Then you just need to fill up the oil and away you go.

The gearbox is in great condition apparently. So i'll take a look at the pan gasket, can you provide any more information about it for me? Such as location?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The pan gasket goes between the pan and the trans body.If it gets tightened up to tight it crushes the cork gasket and causes leaks.The pan is on the bottom of the trans,and has a heap of bolts around the underside of it, holding it on.If you are going to remove the pan then it would be worthwhile replacing the trans filter while you are at it.You even get a new pan gasket with the new filter.It is around $25 for the filter and gasket.Dont forget to clean the magnet inside the bottom of the pan.

Last edited:

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
it could also be the front seal or the rear seal or the dip stick tube i dont recomend driving if its loosing that much oil it might catch fire so if you do drive it take a fire extinguisher. rear seal is easy as same as the dip stick tube and sump pan but the front seal youll have to remove the gearbox its all cheap as chips if you can do it your self

Wherry951

PROJECT UNDERWAY
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i live on the sunny coast and the car is just out of brisbane (just over an hour away) would it be possible for me to drive it with any type of damaged seal? If i fill the oil up a few times would that help? I just need a plan to get it home and work on it from there and i dont want to tow it.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the leak is the only thing wrong with it and you have enough fluid to keep up to it,you should be able to get it home.And like you mentioned before,get your mate to follow you,just in case.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
just depends how much it is leaking and if its leaking on the exhaust if it gets to low on oil itll burn the clutches a bit if its the pan you could buy a few tubes of sillicon and try that? hard to say when you dont know how bad the leak is are you sure its the trans and not the power steering or engine?

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
Yep it sounds like a front seal to be leaking that much oil.As for drivin it home leaking dont be a **** head.