Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help identifing my VF Series

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Hi All,
I have a strange one. I have a 2015 WN Caprice (VF commodore series) Compliance Build date 08/2015 and am confused as to if I have a Series I or Series II. When I purchased the car, it was questionable whether the car was a Series I or Series II.

A VIN check through CarFacts says it is a WN Series II with a 6.2L.
The Rego Papers say it is a 6.2L
The Fuse box even has Bimodal exhaust Relays and Fuses (Unfortunately Bimodals where never fitted to the Caprice WN Series II)

BUT....
The Build plate says the engine is an L77 engine (Not LS3)
The Wheels are Series I style.
There is no spoiler on the boot lit (Apparently a Series II thing)

So some stuff screams Series II and others say Series I.

What are your thoughts. I am going to ask Holden about this one.

CarFacts Vechile Details 1.png
CarFacts Vechile Details.png
20161122_082305s.png

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Whatever it turns out to be, someone has stuffed something up! :)
As a result I don't even think that a call to Holden will help you 100%, their records will reflect what's on the build plate (and hence if it's borked, their data may be wrong).

Is the car definitely original & not repaired?
Does MyLink have the settings to turn the bimodal exhaust on & off (you say you have the fuse for it - is that fuse used for something else in Series I?)
Does the engine-number include an indication of what engine it is?

The VIN on the actual car should usually be able to be decoded in order to see if it's a Series I or Series II ... ?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Send the VIN to me. As for the fuse and relay for the bi-modal, the fuse blocks are the same for all cars. I think the V6 has the relay for the exhaust.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Whatever it turns out to be, someone has stuffed something up! :)
As a result I don't even think that a call to Holden will help you 100%, their records will reflect what's on the build plate (and hence if it's borked, their data may be wrong).

Is the car definitely original & not repaired?
Does MyLink have the settings to turn the bimodal exhaust on & off (you say you have the fuse for it - is that fuse used for something else in Series I?)
Does the engine-number include an indication of what engine it is?

The VIN on the actual car should usually be able to be decoded in order to see if it's a Series I or Series II ... ?
Unfortunately even the WN Caprice Series II did not come with Bimodal exhaust and the MyLink is customised for the Caprice. There is no Bimodal option.
I am tracking down engine number info at the moment and will post the results once I have it.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
OK. So I have a car that is listed as a Series II with CarFacts and both CarFacts and the RTA have it as a 6.2L, but it does not have a LS3 6.2L in it. The engine number starts with DGA which means it is a 6.0L L77 for Autos. If it was a 6.2L LS3, the number would have started with DGD. Probably going to he a headache to get corrected, but knowing my luck, it will bite me in the butt one day because what's in the car doesn't match what the RTA have on file. The engine number is correct, but the capacity of the engine is wrong. Do you guys think it will matter or cause a problem?

VF Series I

CFP = 6.0L (option L77) V8 - VF Commodore / WN Caprice (auto trans)
CFR = 6.0L (option L77) V8 - VF Commodore (manual trans)
CFS = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - F1 Series HSV (auto trans)
CFT = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - F1 Series HSV (manual trans)
CFU = 6.2L (option LSA) V8 - F1 Series HSV (supercharged, auto trans)
CFW = 6.2L (option LSA) V8 - F1 Series HSV (supercharged, manual trans)

DGA = 6.0L (option L77) V8 - VF Commodore/ WN Caprice (auto trans)
DGB = 6.0L (option L77) V8 - VF Commodore (manual trans)

VF Series II

DGD = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - VFII Commodore (auto trans)
DGF = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - VFII Commodore (manual trans)

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
OK. So I have a car that is listed as a Series II with CarFacts and both CarFacts and the RTA have it as a 6.2L, but it does not have a LS3 6.2L in it. The engine number starts with DGA which means it is a 6.0L L77 for Autos. If it was a 6.2L LS3, the number would have started with DGD. Probably going to he a headache to get corrected, but knowing my luck, it will bite me in the butt one day because what's in the car doesn't match what the RTA have on file. The engine number is correct, but the capacity of the engine is wrong. Do you guys think it will matter or cause a problem?

VF Series I

CFP = 6.0L (option L77) V8 - VF Commodore / WN Caprice (auto trans)
CFR = 6.0L (option L77) V8 - VF Commodore (manual trans)
CFS = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - F1 Series HSV (auto trans)
CFT = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - F1 Series HSV (manual trans)
CFU = 6.2L (option LSA) V8 - F1 Series HSV (supercharged, auto trans)
CFW = 6.2L (option LSA) V8 - F1 Series HSV (supercharged, manual trans)

DGA = 6.0L (option L77) V8 - VF Commodore/ WN Caprice (auto trans)
DGB = 6.0L (option L77) V8 - VF Commodore (manual trans)

VF Series II

DGD = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - VFII Commodore (auto trans)
DGF = 6.2L (option LS3) V8 - VFII Commodore (manual trans)

I'm thinking no problem given the engine number that's in the car does match the rego info. Only thing I could see as an issue if you go sell it that an eagle eyed buyer may think there is something suss going on there. The compliance plate correctly says L77 as well. I guess August 2015 must be the month they changed from building series I to series II hence the CarFacts and RTA info confusion.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Series II production commenced in Sep '15, so you'd probably find the RTA\carfacts etc changed their databases a few weeks earlier to reflect the coming changes and there was a slight (albeit unintended) crossover at some point. Fairly sloppy but it happens, heck even the HSV authentication page has mine as a VFIII..!!

The engine number is correct, but the capacity of the engine is wrong

I think you'll find both are correct. Everything you've said about the cars features indicate it is a series one. It's just a mistake on the part of the RTA etc.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
RTA confusion reminds me back in 1973 I bought a new Valiant Charger (my second car). On the rego papers (I think only the initial one) it was typed as Chrysler and Body type as Soupe instead of Coupe

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It’s not worth chasing the RTA to fix naughty incorrect facts, IMHO, if the numbers all match their records.
I had a stock ‘92 Liberty which came with a 2L engine and that trim-level only came with a 2L engine. RTA officially said 2.2L engine, which was accurate for the n/a models but not the turbo ones. Spent at least an hour on the ‘phone trying to get things fixed, in the end I was going to have to get an official inspection and an official certificate from an RTA-certified engineer to say that my car had not been modified yet varied from the RTA-recognised (yet incorrect) standard.

So I didn’t bother. Just make sure engine number & VIN matches the paperwork, and you’re sweet.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Did you buy it thinking it was a series 2 LS3???
Pretty significant difference