Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help identifying this ECU (VN V8?)

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
Hello,
I have a Feb 1990 V8 VN Calais that kindly donated it's organs and brain for a hot rod project.

I sourced a second ECU for the project, as I guess one day they will be harder to find, and cost a bit more.

My original ECU has no label.
Here's my original ECU & memcal.

And here's the one arrived in the mail today.

My question is - is this second unit correct for a VN V8?
I can't really tell. Obviously the PCB stacked on top of the memcal is maybe an HSV thing? or SS thing? Does this little PCB require a knock sensor fitted to engine maybe?

Thanks in advance
Cheers Mudgy.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
All VN's used the 808 ecu (auto/manual, V6/V8).

ASBX is V8 auto production release
APNX is V6 auto/manual early production release

The V8 memcal doesn't have a knock sensor fitted (only used with V6 and HSV engines/tunes).

V6 memcal is different to the V8 and isn't compatible unless modified. The V6 knock board/filter is also different to the V8 one.

Edit: if you fit the standard 304 engine but upgrade the exhaust a bit, fit a decent intake you can get the tune updated to a later model HSV one (knock sensor not really required) you can go from the standard Holden VN V8 160kw to the later HSV 185kw or more no problems.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
p/n 01227808 = Delco 808 so the ECU proper is the right one. What makes it 4/6/8 cyl is the memcal that plugs in. The black chips next to the eprom have these code numbers:

(first one is closest to the EPROM)....
4cyl - 16067752 and 16067753
6cyl - 16087223 and 16087224
8cyl - 16080140 and 16080142

The one you just got has a knock sensor board so is probably a 6 cyl - this board comes off quite easily. Underneath is the same pair of chips as your V8 one but probably with 6 cyl numbers. You can convert to 8 cyl by cutting pin 13 of the chip furthest away from the eprom. The other chip is something to do with limp home mode I think so you might get away with doing nothing to it. Not super sure. The eprom will also need to be erased and re-programmed for 8 cyl.

Here is the go-to place for doing fancy stuff with 808's -> pcmhacking.net - Index page

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
OK Thanks everyone. So I can use the ECM, just swap my memcal over. It was the ECU I was basically chasing.
Anybody want the V6 memcal I can't use?

Forgot to mention, I'll just be leaving the motor stock as a rock. Nothing fancy, just a good reliable runner.

Last edited:

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anybody want the V6 memcal I can't use?
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having it. I got an ECU from the wreckers a while back and got it home and somebody had already nicked the memcal out of it and put the cover back on! This way I could have a complete spare. PM me if you like and we'll swap details.

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having it. I got an ECU from the wreckers a while back and got it home and somebody had already nicked the memcal out of it and put the cover back on! This way I could have a complete spare. PM me if you like and we'll swap details.

Sorry I'm returning the memcal to the seller. They'll swap me with a V8 one. I'm keeping the ECU, seller will swap my mem-cal's over.
Thanks everyone for your answers!

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
Hiya all,
update - my vendor has come up short - no V8 mem cal's. Circlotron, you got PM.

Anyone know where I can get a hold of the right bog standard V8 mem cal?
Cheers Mudgy

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
Memcal arrived today. Thanks Mudgy. Much appreciated :beer chug:

Attachments

• IMG_0821A.jpg
    IMG_0821A.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 413

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
No worries. I managed to get another V8 one so my ecu is complete again.

Cheers Mudgy