Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help of installing gps antenna on non-sat nav vf commodore

mz2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFii Commodore SV6
Hi everyone, I'm upgrading my non-gps vf2 sv6 with factory gps head unit, thanks to @Tasmaniak for his fantastic post otherwise I have no clue of how to dissemble these things... anyway long story short after the magic moment when I plugged the flash box (sourced from ebay) to obd2 port and the head unit unlocks in literally 3 seconds, here comes the frustrating part, there's no gps signal due to aerial issue...

but I want the factory aerial like this:
antenna_nav.jpg

now there're couple of questions messing around:
the seller suggests me some aftermarket gps module like this:
aerial.jpg

aerial2.jpg

but I don't know how to set up... the wire interface of the head unit is exactly the same with my old one and I figured out one of the plugs may be the the one that receives gps signal, but it's currently used for AM/FM, which means if I plug the gps instead, the radio is gone, other than that I doubt the gps signal might be affected as well because the only way I can think of to fit it in is to squeeze everything into the head unit housing under dashboard:
IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

antenna_port.jpg

and I'm curious how does the aftermarket integrated gps system works, do they also put gps antenna behind the grey box head unit and push it in?
http://www.naviplus.com.au/holden-mylink-gps-navigation-upgrade

I searched for factory antenna and spot the clear difference:
antenna.jpg

antenna_nav.jpg

so the gps antenna has a larger base and two plugs, while non-gps antenna only has one. However I have no idea how to swap it, there're no external screws or whatever, maybe I need to remove the lining from inside first...

mz2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFii Commodore SV6
for anyone who's interested of head removal and unlock there're some extra pics,

IMG_3844.jpg

my non-gps unit and gps unit, same look but gps unit has an extra socket

IMG_3840.jpg

the annoying plug mentioned by @Tasmaniak , need to flip the buckle first and pull out

IMG_3849.jpg

the screen shows locked after swapping

IMG_3852.jpg

the flash box, works like magic
I bought it here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VF-SERI...232713?hash=item466ae6f949:g:JSgAAOSwHhRa4iC8
you need to send it back after use to get back deposit though

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

system unlocks... unfortunately no gps signal

Last edited:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
To replace the antenna, you need to remove the headlining.

IMG_1081.PNG IMG_1082.PNG IMG_1083.PNG IMG_1084.PNG IMG_1085.PNG IMG_1086.PNG IMG_1087.PNG

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Remaining pics of procedure

IMG_1088.PNG IMG_1089.PNG IMG_1090.PNG IMG_1091.PNG IMG_1092.PNG IMG_1093.PNG

mz2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFii Commodore SV6

Thank you very much dgp, unfortunately I have to give up factory whip aerial because I only found today that the sockets of head units are actually different... big mistake! There's a dedicated port for gps signal which I didn't notice, so an extra cable needs to be added to the cable bus to suit factory aerial.

I'm searching youtube for aftermarket antenna installing and there're plenty of them, usually glued under dash board. Of course the signal will not be as good as putting on the car roof but I'll see.

IMG_3883.jpg

non-sat nav head unit

IMG_3895.jpg

sat nav head unit, blue port for gps

Last edited:

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Have fitted other A/M GPS units to various cars, you won't lose much signal by fitting the GPS antenna under the dash.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thank you very much dgp, unfortunately I have to give up factory whip aerial because I only found today that the sockets of head units are actually different... big mistake! There's a dedicated port for gps signal which I didn't notice, so an extra cable needs to be added to the cable bus to suit factory aerial.

I'm searching youtube for aftermarket antenna installing and there're plenty of them, usually glued under dash board. Of course the signal will not be as good as putting on the car roof but I'll see.
If you did decide to go with the standard GPS antenna and thus remove the headlining, that would be the ideal time to also do the electriochromatic mirror and sunshade lamp upgrade and why not add front and rear chresh cams :) Go the whole hog, no expense spared :cool:

joban

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore sv6 2015
for anyone who's interested of head removal and unlock there're some extra pics,

IMG_3844.jpg

my non-gps unit and gps unit, same look but gps unit has an extra socket

IMG_3840.jpg

the annoying plug mentioned by @Tasmaniak , need to flip the buckle first and pull out

IMG_3849.jpg

the screen shows locked after swapping

IMG_3852.jpg

the flash box, works like magic
I bought it here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VF-SERI...232713?hash=item466ae6f949:g:JSgAAOSwHhRa4iC8
you need to send it back after use to get back deposit though

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

system unlocks... unfortunately no gps signal