Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help please vs 304 in patrol

duck-n-dan_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 304
hey guys new to this site so i appologise if this isnt right or in the wrong spot. i have a gu patrol with the marks adaptor kit to suit a holden 304. it originally had a 304 out of a vp. that was playing up so i bought another motor out of a 1997 vs. now ive dropped it in hooked everything up all exactly the same and the bloody thing wont start. theres spark there and theres fuel. if anything a little too much fuel but thats besides the point ive tried cranking it with the injectors unplugged with start ya bastard still nothing. doesnt even pop or cough or anything just nothing. just cranks over. ive fitted a brand new procomp distributor and put it to TDC using the finger on 1st plug hole feel compression then when mark comes up on balancer thats TDC yeah?? ive tried different injectors different rails a different coil and still nothing not even a pop. tried 2 different computers and 3 different memcals. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone cheers. i was going to try the error code with the bridging of the 2 pins but its got the patrol diagnostic plug which is different to the commodore so no idea which to bridge..

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
What other computers have you used?
The sensors ect on the VS's engine may be incompatible with the VP ecu.

Last edited:

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Hi mate, I did exactly the same thing to my 4runner the other week.. You see, when you checked for TDC on piston 1 the pressure you felt against your finger was most likely valve overlap, I'm 100% sure you're 180 degrees out on your distributor. Took me 2 days to figure it out lol.

Clean the plugs too before you crank it over after you turned the dizzy 180.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
You also need to make sure that when your TDC mark on the harmonic balancer is a bee's dick away from coming on, you remove the dizzy cap and make sure its pointing to the passengers head rest.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You can also check for TDC by removing the spark plug on No. 1 cylinder and inserting a drinking straw in the spark plug hole. With the straw sitting on the piston and by
turning the engine by hand, you can watch the straw rise and fall.
A friend of mine did this when there was no other indication he could go on.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
thatwill get you tdc but you also need to know which stroke you're on removing the rocker cover helps there

duck-n-dan_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 304
I was under the impression number 1 could be wherever you wanted it to be so long as the rotor button was pointing to no.1 on TDC. I've removed the rocker cover and correct me if I'm wrong the very first rocker at the front of the engine is the exhaust? So I went off the second one watched it go down then on the way back up both even and loose and mark on TDC. Is that correct?

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you're getting fuel, air and spark then it should fire.

The plugs could be wet as f**k too, so don't count on it firing up even if you do get it right.

I never much liked the idea of just throwing number 1 lead on the closest point to the rotor, just do it as they do in the factory.

When you find TDC on compression stroke it should be facing the passenger side. Or if not, you're a tooth out when you put your dizzy back in. (or several teeth)