Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need HELP,!!!! Spark plug change over problem.

Ta Moo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy s
I be checking the leads not the first time the wire breaks away pulling leads off. Just in case is it on lpg? if so you need a 7 not 6. How did you manage to break off the ceramic insulator, wrong tool or over tighten the plug.
Lead were all right. And it got a petrol not a gas. And the spark plug were given by the seller. I got the right tool for spark. And I don't know how it break of. I just thought it might be because first time when I change the gap. I use screw driver and damage it. But now I got the right gapping tool. So I try one last time.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Check the the new spark plug gap. Oh they are less then 1.5. Re change it by put the flat screw driver between and bent it up to the right gap.... Wish me a Luck this time". Bang it happen again. Try to do same as first time by driving around for 30min. Nothing change . Back home. remove spark plug. And then I just broken one off. And one also got the white thing come off a bit. So I left with a 4 good one. Put all the old plug back in....

Have I done anything wrong?
And what can I do to fix it or make it work?
Will it damage anything or engine, Drive it while it surge and loss power?
Is it because my car don't have a original exhaust system?
If you used a flat blade screw driver to lever between the centre electrode and the hooked earth post, then that would explain why the white centre porcelain insulator has broken ;)

If any broken bits are missing, they may still be inside your engine and that may cause more damage if you drive it... If all the bits are still attached and nothing is missing, you’ve dodged a bullet :eek:

Never use a screw driver to lever between the centre electrode and the earth post to set the gap... there are cheap tools to set gap :rolleyes:

And be careful buying stuff from eBay as some sell defective or low quality parts that have failed manufacturers QC. Best to buy spark plugs from a physical shop, preferably a car makers dealer, supercheap auto, repco and such, not Freddie on eBay)...

Last edited:

Ta Moo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy s
Done my change over just before. And this is the result. Umm

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What's the part number on your old plugs?

Ta Moo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy s
Thanks for everyone
who help. Got it Fix.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So what was the eventual fix?
Letting us know could help others in future ;)

Ta Moo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy s
Before put new plug-in, check the gaping even though it says pre-gap. Don't use screw driver to gap it. Use a gaping tool. If you already use a screw driver. And didn't work than your plug might already damage even though it still turn the engine on but it will still surge and lose acceleration. I use a coin gaping tool. Check out in YouTube by Chrisfix. He got good instruction there for how to use coin gaping tool so you won't damage the spark plug. So after all the mistake. I Brought all 6 new plug including coin gaping tool. Before put in. I check it and re-gap them because the gap on the plug wasn't right. After re-gap it. I put them in. And bang!!!. Run smoother than old plug, Better acceleration, better fuel mileage. After all. Better than it was.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Before put new plug-in, check the gaping even though it says pre-gap. Don't use screw driver to gap it. Use a gaping tool. If you already use a screw driver. And didn't work than your plug might already damage even though it still turn the engine on but it will still surge and lose acceleration. I use a coin gaping tool. Check out in YouTube by Chrisfix. He got good instruction there for how to use coin gaping tool so you won't damage the spark plug. So after all the mistake. I Brought all 6 new plug including coin gaping tool. Before put in. I check it and re-gap them because the gap on the plug wasn't right. After re-gap it. I put them in. And bang!!!. Run smoother than old plug, Better acceleration, better fuel mileage. After all. Better than it was.

What a great thread. It has lots of excitement and suspense. Then a happy ending.
Ta Moo, you made me smile cobber.