Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need HELP - tuning system issue

NoddyOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Hey guys, hows things.

I have finished up a system which i transplanted from my old car and had stored for a year or more before putting the subs into the VX.
Had to get all new splits and 2 more amps.

Ok my issue is , this . I have a pioneer AVH5650bt head unit prior to that i had a Kenwood one and found that rather good sounding. However after many issues with the intaller and the quality of wiring and mounting etc. And smokey electrical smell first 10mins of driving it back home. Anyway 2weeks later they fixed it all up . But i dont want to go back there or anywhere else that think they know what they doing but hand the job off to monkeys . And not fully check it.

The head unit came with (extra) a AUTO EQ mic. And i thought it would help me set the levels . As i had been having issues with my HIGH's and MID's dropping . I tuned the system myself using a Multi meter @ 20.9Volts AC (110rms @4ohms speaker rating) for the back door 6.5inch splits. and 21.9 VAC for the front splits (120rms @4ohms, sr) and 23.66 VAC for the 6x9's (140Wrms @ 4ohm).
Now , tune was at a flat EQ , then i never touched the gains again on the amps. With only EQ headunit adjusting. I could NOT get my highs over 2 above flat. each time i did. When turned up after about 10seconds it drops significantly. So my logic was too much power. The AMP running the splits is the CA-AM41200 fusion 3000w which has 110Wrms x 4 @ 4ohms which was perfect for my split i felt. And at $80 i grabbed it NEW from US supplier :p funny that.
Anyway i dropped the gains on the amp down on both channels and it helped. So with that logic dropped it more. I have now dropped the gains that low their basically not even up lol. But the highs are very clear when USING THE AUTO EQ.

What should i DO?

I get sick of it and just turn auto EQ off and adjust the equalizer manually. But still nothing better then 3 above flat on the 2 far right highs .
With the 6x9's running a Hyphonics Brutus amp , im thinking of changing the amps around at last resort and running the splits on the brutus and the 6x9s on the Fusion amp as maybe, just maybe the max power peak is to high and triggering or ####in my crossovers . As i happend to fry a set also that first day of install pickup
:)

Appreciate the advise !
(and i dont need your opinion on quality or brands to get otehr then this or that ive got it live with it and move on , and further more been pumping out 120+dp rather easy for last 4yrs 20141101_230342.jpg20141101_230405.jpg20141101_230332.jpg

Last edited:

NoddyOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
BUMP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive changed over the amps , now the 6x9's running off the CA-AM41200 and switched to bridged 300wrms x 2 @4ohms and the Brutus running the Split components in the front and the back door . However sounds great the problem is still there. The highs just DROP grrrrrrrrr, going to try diagnose it more tommorrow if i got time but , ive noticed it does come in more so when the bass kicks in , and the subs off. So ### knows to be honest, it would be good to see someone with a clue post a clue

Cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Disconnect one of your pairs of speakers. Preferably the 6x9s

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Not really clear on what your issue is mate. Are the highs there, and then dropping off when the music plays certain things/for a certain amount of time, or is the EQ settings making it so there are no highs at all? Two different issues with very different fixes...

NoddyOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Not really clear on what your issue is mate. Are the highs there, and then dropping off when the music plays certain things/for a certain amount of time, or is the EQ settings making it so there are no highs at all? Two different issues with very different fixes...

I tried to be specific :)

The highs are dropping out , they are working at one point . Then after a few seconds , normally when a bass kick comes in but not always , does also do it when just treble coming from music.

So YES i did remove the 6x9's and had the same issue. . . So i then removed the back door RCA's and so on , till i came to this .... The speakers are not connected to the required output matching front left front right back right back left etc. So i quickly just fluffed around with the RCA's till they were, i will change over the wiring on amp later to match dont worry. But it seems that i have also got HIGH resistance ohm's on the passanger side crossover's 10ohm's on woofer, 9 on tweeter and 6 on input i think it was. .Then the other side had 4 , 4 , 2 and the readings were giving me a negative on the 4,4,2 so they either got it wired wrong way or thats how it should be. #### i hate car audio :)

I am tryin to do some earth testing and ohm testing, can you or someone maybe tell me the best place to start? And what i should look out for , what is GOOD and what is BAD ..

So you know im using
AVH-5650bt headunit
1x 2000rms watt mono block fusion amp
2x powerplant 12" 1000W rms running @ 1ohm
20141105_134537.jpg

1x CA-AM41200 3000watts 4channel amp
1x hyphonic brutus bridged @ 300wrms @ 4ohms x 2channel
and the power plant 6x9's and 6"inch splits (back door) and 6.5" + tweeters component setup. With Fusion crossovers for all bar the 6x9's as theyr running american audio or something . Heres a pic of boot

Attachments

• 20141105_134544.jpg
    20141105_134544.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 20141105_134537.jpg
    20141105_134537.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 201

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I'm backing away slowly from this one guys...