Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Help Urgent! Getrag Gearbox

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
Hello all im sure yous have all heard this 100's of times, but i really need help with this.

I recently purchased a Manual conversion out of a VU Ute for DIRT CHEAP!! lol

it came with clutch, flywheel, master/slave, pedals, gearbox, shifter, tailshaft ecu out of the ute etc.

so my questions are..

Is the box going to fit straight up into my VT S1 Auto?

Can i use my rear half of the tailshaft with the first half of the manual shaft?

Since the loom wasnt included, what are my options to link the ecu? can i just use a Manual VT memcal in my auto ecu, or does the VU ECU need to be linked to the computer on car??

I have heard people have done it just with full auto computer but there cars dont idle properly,

Any Help is much appreciated, as i wish to start converting the car on friday,.

Thanks Alot

dagsy

Reaction score
i did a conversion on my 5/98 wagon. i think the kit came out of a sedan and i used the front have of the
tail shaft from the kit with the back half from my wagon.
used the memcal from the manual ecu into the auto ecu from my car.
i got the wiring loom with the kit and wasn't going to use it but ended up doing so as it saved a lot of stuffing
around with the gearbox connectors, reverse lights mainly.
one other thing i did was to cut the brake pedal to size instead of trying to swap them over.
i had it for about 2 weeks before i put it in so i had a good muck around to see what else i needed so
i had everything.
hope this helps

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
thanks for the info, so im thinking now that the front half of the ute tailshaft will work with my rear sedan tailshaft??

and also the ecu is out of a VU ute, aparently they do not have interchangable memcals, will i need to source a manual memcal from a vt?

thanks alot for your help mate,

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
the only thing i need to work out now is how to get the car ecu converted to manual on the auto vt loom, do i have to get a manual vt memcal? can i just get one of those tuned vt manual memcals off ebay, please any info will be brilliant as the process will be starting tomorrow! thanks heaps

dagsy

Reaction score
i found a good conversion write up on here in the how to section somewhere.
as far as the ecu stuff i don't know. maybe stick the manual memcal in your ecu and see if it works?? otherwise get in touch with the guys on here that do the chips they might be able to help

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
i have read every manual conversion thread for getrag on JC, i just need to know how to run the auto loom with manual gearbox, as not one of the threads explains it thoroughly, thanks heaps

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
conversion has been held up due to a worn clutch, when the seller told me it was near new, and i couldnt check it when i bought it because i bought the whole engine/gearbox bolted together

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the vu ecu should have a memcal in it that will work in vt ecu

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
okay thanks for that delco, by any chance could you do a more aggresive tune for my s1 vt? say i give you a auto memcal can you tune it to manual with highere peformance? thanks

car is still not manual, all i need to do now, is get the new hydraulic line, floor mount plate, and the manual memcal...