Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help VB sl 202 red motor mods

OzzRocker1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL commodore and VN s1 v6 5speed exec
will i need to get a black motor head if my red motor head is the 12 port head and how do i tell if it is a 12 port head?
thanks guys

KC

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Heres a pic of my old 202.
The 12 Port head has 12 ports 6 inlet 6 exhaust
The 9 port heads have 3 inlet & 6 exhaust

I dont have a 9 port head pic to show you the difference maybe someone else here has a 9 port head pic

cheers
Scott

Attachments

• assembly in car side.jpg
    assembly in car side.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 6,349

OzzRocker1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys
i was wondering if someone could tell me the differences in a black and a red 202 because im trying to figure out wat mine is...i know that sounds silly lol but the original red 202 in the vb sl came out with auto trans it had a single barrel stromberg carby and mine has a manual m21 trans it has a varrajet 2 carby and it has the 4 bolt patern on the side for i think its either power steering or aircon and i dont know if it helps determine if its 12 or 9 port but i took the rocker cover off today to respray it and it has 12 rocker arms
thanks guys

KC

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
look in the ports, a 12 port has each port properly divided, a nine port has siamese intake ports, ie there's a cast iron column (where the headbolts go through) in the middle of each intake port.
like everyone else says, buy a written off VK EFI, that way all the fiddly little bits you can swap over, rather than paying and scrounging wreckers to find odd bits. You can then swap the fuel lines, fuel tank etc straight over, sell the rest and get some money back on it.

OzzRocker1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys
bit of an update i have found out that i am not legaly aloud to drive my vb so i now have to sell it if annyone is interested it is a 1979 VB SL and it has a vk black motor in it, it is a 4 speed manual and comes with a new sony stereo and speakers and a bunch of original SL/E parts it has a set of stockies and 6 sle mags without tyres i am looking for $1500 for it.
it is an urgent sale as my dad wont let me buy a new car till this one is gone
Cheers

OzzRocker

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Hi guys
bit of an update i have found out that i am not legaly aloud to drive my vb so i now have to sell it if annyone is interested it is a 1979 VB SL and it has a vk black motor in it, it is a 4 speed manual and comes with a new sony stereo and speakers and a bunch of original SL/E parts it has a set of stockies and 6 sle mags without tyres i am looking for $1500 for it.
it is an urgent sale as my dad wont let me buy a new car till this one is gone
Cheers

OzzRocker

Why cant you legally drive your car?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Being that we are dealing with a VB with a red motor it will take any V8 donar and its pre pollution so mods are nearly endless.

cheers
Scott

OMG are you serious?!?! is VB pre-pollution?!? i got sold a block from the wrecker and he said it was from a VB but it was pre-pollution so i dint believe him...

im off to go hunting for VB's :)

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
OMG are you serious?!?! is VB pre-pollution?!? i got sold a block from the wrecker and he said it was from a VB but it was pre-pollution so i dint believe him...

im off to go hunting for VB's :)

There no pre-pollution.... early HQ's were the last of pre-pollution