Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help VB sl 202 red motor mods

OzzRocker1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL commodore and VN s1 v6 5speed exec
hi guys i just bought a vb as my first car im slowly doing it up as i am new to it all so far i have re done the inteirior it is now a black and silver i have put in a new stereo and bolted on a new steering wheel and im still tossing up between and SL/E paint job(white) or goin with the same sle idea but the main color being black and the trim being silver. Im about to get a new exaust system put in (nothing too flash) and i was hoping some one with some experience with the 202s could help with some advice and recomendations on mods to make it go faster ... my mate has an au falcon and i want to see his smug little face turn to tears in my rear veiw as i hammer past him lol
thanks guys

KC

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Unfortunatly your not going to have your mate looking in your rear view mirror without big dollars, unless he cracks another head :p or you mess with his car first lol.

What I would do, keeping cost in mind.
Would be run a Vk EFI Head and EFI setup, a nice cam, 2 and 1/4 inch exhaust/EFI extractors, thermo fans. Have a look on oldholden.com if your interested in the EFI setup as there is some guru's there can help you out on a budget.

Otherwise, a 12port blue head, a 34adm weber carby, extractors, 2 and a 1/4 inch exhaust, shoudl help it breath better. Depending how far you want to go, but cam, porting, etc if your prepared, also do u want any sort of fuel economy?

Also if your looking for an off the line race (legal) then look at diff gears to give you a bit mroe get up and go.

OzzRocker1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL commodore and VN s1 v6 5speed exec
thanks for the quick reply
i have been looking at the EFI from the vk
and extractors i just needa find some good stuff thats affordable
would you recomend a new gear box of some description it has a standard 4 speed manual atm
thanks

KC

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
Unfortunatly your not going to have your mate looking in your rear view mirror without big dollars, unless he cracks another head :p or you mess with his car first lol.

not true my vh blue 202 use to flog au s they are crap and all mine had 40 tho over pistons about stage2-3 cam and a 350 holley and balanced oh and it was a 4 speed and i didnt even have extractors.lol

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
thanks for the quick reply
i have been looking at the EFI from the vk
and extractors i just needa find some good stuff thats affordable
would you recomend a new gear box of some description it has a standard 4 speed manual atm
thanks

KC

You should be able to pick up a cheap EFI setup for under 200 bux, or look at buying aVk EFI wreck, grabbing the gear off it and selling the wreck you should be able to atleast break even.
The main note Ill add is that a blue/black head is not a direct bolt on ot the red block, you need to redrill some water jackets in your block using the blue/black gasket as a template.
Im not to sure gearbox wise hopefully Scott will see this thread and help you out aswell. But I think you owuld have an M20/21 box which would have to be the stronger of the 4-speed boxes, You could always look int a 5-speec conversion, either using the standard 5 speed which isnt the strongest, or a T-5 or Celica 5-speed conversion.

not true my vh blue 202 use to flog au s they are crap and all mine had 40 tho over pistons about stage2-3 cam and a 350 holley and balanced oh and it was a 4 speed and i didnt even have extractors.lol

There was something wrong with the AU's you raced if thats the case.
VB Commy - stock 71kw and around 1200kg's (from memory)
Au Falcon - stcok 157kW at 1500kgs.
Not to mention the better technology in the falcon. Dont get me wrong I love the Holden six, but im also in a state of reality about it to.

The 350 Holley is a pathetic carb, we all know that. Its a race carb, it drinks petrol like theres no tomorow, and caus of this you get terrible flat spots. A 2 barrel Progressive carb is a whole lot better, because it has smoother fuel delivery and also can deliver great fuel economy being a progressive carb.
A Cam will bring any holden 6 alive though.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
just to mention the au was an auto and the holley was great on my engine also have you ever driven an au they are crap i had a ea falcon with el injection and five speed and draged my mates au xr6 and i was running on 5 cyl they are crap and look like pasties lol

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
just to mention the au was an auto and the holley was great on my engine also have you ever driven an au they are crap i had a ea falcon with el injection and five speed and draged my mates au xr6 and i was running on 5 cyl they are crap and look like pasties lol

I dont want to admit this, but the auto in the AU is a bloody good box, apparently its the same box used by Maseratti on earlier models. In a straight line the auto will always be quicker.
No I havent driven an Au, but have been in one and they definitly wernt a slug, not a powerhouse though. I agree there ugly as a nuns coot, but there more aero-dynamic then a vb if we are comparing them in a race.

Its definitly possible to beat a Au, but its gonna cost some dollars. The only hope you have is if he cant drive for **** lol.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Being that we are dealing with a VB with a red motor it will take any V8 donar and its pre pollution so mods are nearly endless.

I would seriously start looking for a written off, rooted etc second hand V8 HQ, HZ, HJ or VB commodore with 5L running gear take out the engine & gearbox other odds & ended out needed for the conversion and sell the wreak off for other spares.

The money you spend modding a 202 a standard V8 will still put out way more torque & the same or more power.

cheers
Scott

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
just to let you know my ea is the only ford i have owned but it was a very quick car had a drag with a new monaro it had a sticker on it 275rwkw and i was a car length behind him all the way not bad for a crusty ea but ill never buy one again.lol

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
Being that we are dealing with a VB with a red motor it will take any V8 donar and its pre pollution so mods are nearly endless.

I would seriously start looking for a written off, rooted etc second hand V8 HQ, HZ, HJ or VB commodore with 5L running gear take out the engine & gearbox other odds & ended out needed for the conversion and sell the wreak off for other spares.

The money you spend modding a 202 a standard V8 will still put out way more torque & the same or more power.

cheers
Scott

i would be going v8 as well unless moneys not an issue.