Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help VN feels every single bump in the road

nickkp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VS S2 Ute, VN HSV+6
Hi, does anyone know what would be causing it to bounce around all the time? just got the car and looking at replacing everything i possibly can to fix it, the height is also factory standard, so far im going to replace shocks struts and springs. do i need to replace anything else? what are some good brands to use?

thanks guys

bundybear75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Crook shock absorbers and struts.

My VP wallowed and bottomed out on every bump.

I fitted HD standard height king springs and new no name shocks and struts. Its now a different car for under $400 worth of parts.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
VN's came out of the factory with a very rough ride, was just one of their many terrible characteristics.

Replacing struts and shocks will be your best bet, but even then, don't expect miracles....It will never drive like a modern car.

Last edited:

nickkp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VS S2 Ute, VN HSV+6
Crook shock absorbers and struts.

My VP wallowed and bottomed out on every bump.

I fitted HD standard height king springs and new no name shocks and struts. Its now a different car for under $400 worth of parts.

My car has been factory lowered, what type of king springs should i purchase? and do i ask my mechanic to fit the no name shocks and struts?

bundybear75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
My car has been factory lowered, what type of king springs should i purchase? and do i ask my mechanic to fit the no name shocks and struts?

I used these shocks and struts :-

4 Front Rear GT GAS Strut Shock Absorbers Sedan 78 94 VB VC VH VK VL VN VQ VP | eBay

And these springs:-

Holden Commodore VL VP V8 Sedan L A F R Standard "STD" Height King Springs | eBay

The image is wrong as it shows IRS springs for the rear but actually came with L/A springs.

I didnt want to lower the car as I occasionally run over 'Roo carcasses on my daily (200km return) commute, and used V8 springs to counteract the weight of the bullbar.

Prices have gone up a bit in the 18 months since I fitted the bits and pieces.

If you have no experience or equipment to change the springs and struts yourself, get a mechanic to do the work. It can be quite dangerous if done incorrectly.

And as Someguy said, these were never a great ride even from the factory - Remember it is a 25 year old car with 25 year old suspension technology.

Good luck!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
As has been previously said, shocks are probably fragged.

Would also look at the other bushes in the front end, and make sure the alignment is good.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Riding like a cruise liner is different to feeling every bump, getting sea sick on long trips is not the same as massaging your kidneys.
Start with the suggestions above and replace the shocks, if you dump it on its guts you'll really feel every bump.

If your mechanic suggests black & gold/kmart shocks make sure he's going to back it up with a warranty.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
I wouldn't buy chinese shocks unless you wanna do it again in a few years. For a little more you can get either japanese (kyb) or german (boge/sachs) and not have to worry about it ever again