Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with a diagnosis.

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
Hey guys just another one, the car has now started to stall when cold. If I apply revs and go to drive it's fine but I need to maintain the revs.
Such a weird one. I'm borrowing my mates scanning tool today.
Would it be worth grabbing a new TPS?
I'm a fair way from shops but heading in today.
Thanks all!

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
Never had my car stall with a buggered ICA, revs just don't respond as quick under-load at idle, however I've had this experience and it turned out to be my fuel pump on the way out, not saying yous is. Hard to diagnose the issue could be a number of things.
Thinking it could be the fuel pump potentially. It won't throw a code at all for the pump right.?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
What is the idle speed? Blocked/dirty IAC, dirty throttle body, or a throttle body needing adjusting (as per the section of the manual posted earlier) all result in the idle speed being a bit low and make the car prone to stalling - especially in colder weather, or when there are extra loads on the engine (such as air con).

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
What is the idle speed? Blocked/dirty IAC, dirty throttle body, or a throttle body needing adjusting (as per the section of the manual posted earlier) all result in the idle speed being a bit low and make the car prone to stalling - especially in colder weather, or when there are extra loads on the engine (such as air con).
It's just thrown the engine light so I'll get that diagnosed today and let you know. Idle is about 1000rpm?
I'll be cleaning it all out again too

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
So here are some new codes if someone could please let me know what these are. Thanks heaps!.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So here are some new codes if someone could please let me know what these are. Thanks heaps!.
As i understand it, the VX Commodore error codes are displayed as a 4 digit code where the vehicle uses ALDL protocol which is proprietary GM protocol.

Unfortunately ALDL data is sent in a format unique to the model of ECU in the vehicle with little standardization between models, so a proper definition of the data is required to interpret it. So most professional scan tools require a large database of vehicle definitions.

To add confusion, Holden used an OBD shaped plug on the VX however an CAN based OBDII dongle (common check as chips) won’t work on these…

Supposedly the state of play w.r.t. protocols is as follows:

VR -> VY V6's run "ALDL"
VR -> VT S1 V8's run "ALDL"
VTs2 -> VY 5.7V8's run "VPW OBDII"
VZ -> VE V6 run "OBDII CAN"
VZ -> VE 6.0L V8 run "OBDII CAN"

Unfortunately I haven’t found a list of VX specific fault codes so one can’t say for certain what they mean.

The later OBDII codes could be the same as some of GM’s ALDL codes but probably not… So it’s a guess if you assume it’s a Powertrain code and google “GM P1341” which will return the OBDII meaning of that code. Note that some OBDII codes are standardised across manufacturers but some are manufacturer specific which means that one’s interpretation may be wrong doing such searches.

This web site can be useful for showing OBDII codes and their manufacturer specific interpretations.

P1341 ?
P1361 Ignition Coil Control Circuit Low Voltage
P1261 ?

As such, it’s best is to download the VX workshop manual as earlier suggested and linked by @chrisp . Hopefully that doc will have a list of codes within that you can reference to get the meaning specifically for your model and engine combo… I’ll leave that for you to do..

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
Just an update,
I got a dfi module from another vehicle and just replaced it at work quickly, hasn't seemed to make a difference.
I'll be free tomorrow so will use it to go over the manual and see what I can find/do.
I do have a friend of a friend who worked with Holden for 25 years so the next step will be getting him to do the job.
Cheers.

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
My apologies for all the posts.

So I just did a few more things and anyway when you turn the ignition on there was a weird noise coming from the IAC valve.
I took it out and sure enough the entire spring and end had come off? And it wasn't working I assume.
I kinda screwed it back in and it idled like a dream until driving again.

Would the mean a new IAC valve and the reading and a throttle body stop adjustment to bring it back to step 22 as chrisp has noted?
Or just a IAC?
Thanks again.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
My apologies for all the posts.

So I just did a few more things and anyway when you turn the ignition on there was a weird noise coming from the IAC valve.
I took it out and sure enough the entire spring and end had come off? And it wasn't working I assume.
I kinda screwed it back in and it idled like a dream until driving again.

Would the mean a new IAC valve and the reading and a throttle body stop adjustment to bring it back to step 22 as chrisp has noted?
Or just a IAC?
Thanks again.

If it’s just the IAC valve that’s the issue it can be replaced without having to do the throttle body adjustment.

I haven’t experienced it myself, but I do recall reading somewhere that there are two different types of IAC valve and if you fit the wrong one they come apart like you described. Apparently there are two different sized plungers with different diameters?

Anyway, it sounds like you are well on the way to getting it sorted.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
the entire spring and end had come off
There are two different iac sensors. One is pointy, the other is more domed.
Tomorrow l'll post a photo that shows the differences.
If you have the pointy one, then you'll need the domed one, or vice versa.