Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with exhaust shield rattling

thebulk

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE
I've heard numerous people have had the exhaust shield rattle problem. Just wondering if someone could let me know where I should look and how I can tighten it up so that it doesn't

Cheers
Andrew

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Get underneath the car and loosen the nuts holding the shields in place and then and reposition the shields.I had the same problem and after doing this the rattle was gone.
Good luck.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Good idea but I assume the nuts will be fused on from the heat. Maybe try some clamps and tighten them on

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Good idea but I assume the nuts will be fused on from the heat. Maybe try some clamps and tighten them on

Nice thread dig....It's almost been 8 years since the last post.
Anyway just to let you know,
The heat shields aren't on the actual exhaust system.
The heat shields locate onto studs fitted to the underbody of the car and they are secured to these studs by nuts.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Nice thread dig....It's almost been 8 years since the last post.
Anyway just to let you know,
The heat shields aren't on the actual exhaust system.
The heat shields locate onto studs fitted to the underbody of the car and they are secured to these studs by nuts.
It's better to continue on than open a new thread.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
It's better to continue on than open a new thread.

When people dig up and comment on old threads like these they usually cop a bit of a serve from certain members, just giving you a heads up.
But you may not have been around long enough yet to have noticed this.
As I posted above.....
It was quite obvious when you posted "Maybe try some clamps and tighten them on" that you weren't aware of this.

Last edited:

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
When people dig up and comment on old threads like these they usually cop a bit of a serve from certain members, just giving you a heads up.
But you may not have been around long enough yet to have noticed this.
As I posted above.....
It was quite obvious when you posted "Maybe try some clamps and tighten them on" that you weren't aware of this.
Yeah thanks for the heads up. I had a pulsar SSS brand new from 2000 and was on the pulsar Australia forums. my old man just gave me his VZ wagon for free, it's a total piece of **** so I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I've been fixing all the issues slowly and yeah it has a rattle

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy using clamps so I thought that was the case with the VZ.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
All good mate.
The forum is a great source of info with lots of knowledgeable members, some of whom have been on here for over 10 years.
Good score too getting a VZ for nothing, even it is a hunk of **** :)

A wise man once said:
Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet as there is lots of really, really bad info out there from people who know absolutely jackshit about jackshit.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
The rattle you are referring to may not be the exhaust shield(s). Have you considered the possibility of the internals of the Catalytic Converters or Mufflers starting to internally fall apart. Get under the car with either a rubber mallet or perhaps just your fist and thump (not too hard) along the exhaust system. Rattles if present should become obvious to you.