Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need help with full stereo wiring in vt

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Oh well i was planning to run my rca's down the left if i did it so i could put the power out the clutch grommet (whatever that is haha).

if running the rca's down the left i dont get how to get access behind the dash to run the cables from the head unit to the passenger side footwell then under door sills etc.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
quick run down,
pull out back seats, side sills, door trims and trims over front seat belts.
back seat, just pushes in/up and out, then theres two bolts holding the backs in place 13mm or something.
side sills, flat head screw driver to get trims off the top, then torx bit and phillips head to get all the screws out, plus the dickie things that join the sill to the seat, they just flex and pop out.
door trims are a bit of stuffing around, hardest bit is the red thing in the lock though, otherwise just all screws.

glove box has a little push in black pin in the drivers side corner, get a flat head and carefully pop it out, the glove will fall straight out.

do you have the original head unit in still?

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
quick run down,
pull out back seats, side sills, door trims and trims over front seat belts.
back seat, just pushes in/up and out, then theres two bolts holding the backs in place 13mm or something.
side sills, flat head screw driver to get trims off the top, then torx bit and phillips head to get all the screws out, plus the dickie things that join the sill to the seat, they just flex and pop out.
door trims are a bit of stuffing around, hardest bit is the red thing in the lock though, otherwise just all screws.

glove box has a little push in black pin in the drivers side corner, get a flat head and carefully pop it out, the glove will fall straight out.

do you have the original head unit in still?

That's an awesome some up of what i've read to do mate, cheers!
And yeah everything is stock and to be replaced.
If i get the glovebox out should i have acess to behind the dash so i can easily move wires from door sill/carpet to the H/U?

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
what head deck are you puting it?

if its a doulbe din, ull have to pull out ur glove box and half the dash to get in it right anyways,

beter yet, join street commodores and look on there fourm, step by step with pictures shows u how to put in the doulbe din head deck,

Reaction score
Website
www.nz-taniwha.com
Members Ride
VN Commodore Wagon Executive S2
Keep the Power and RCA cords seperate when installing, RCA down the passengers side sills and power down the drivers side sills. Running these wires together as a short cut will cause interference bettween the power and speaker(RCA) wires.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
what head deck are you puting it?

if its a doulbe din, ull have to pull out ur glove box and half the dash to get in it right anyways,

beter yet, join street commodores and look on there fourm, step by step with pictures shows u how to put in the doulbe din head deck,
Its a pioneer DEH-4250SD single din so nothing too fancy.

And yeah i read about the whole interference thing. If thats the case how do i get the speaker wiring from the drivers side to the boot and not near the power?

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
run them nxt to each other, its only the rcas that have to be kept away!

a good amp should fillter out any crap from running rcas with power anyways

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
oh really? I thought it was rca's and speakers wires that couldnt be near the power wiring.
That makes it a bit easier then if thats true!

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
nopp, guy who did my tune for my alpine system said that, rca and power dont matter if u got good ****,

saying that, i still put them on the differnt sides just to make sure!

but speakers wires shouldnt matter, if ur rly concered just run the power under the car?? or down the middle

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Speaker wire is fine to run next to power cable. Just keep RCAs away.