Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with my vy calais

Antony815

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy holden calais
hey can anyone help me ????? im trying to connect an amp into my holden vy calais?? please help :)

is there any way of connecting a new amp in the boot using the stock amp wires ?

thanks Antony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
You need a converter or a mod carried out on your head deck to give you rac connections.

Some amps have high level inputs bit not many.

Antony815

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy holden calais
Ah ok so there's no way I can connect it to the wires that are already in the boot from the stock amp ?

Thanks Antony

Antony815

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy holden calais
Why can't I use the stock leads that are already in my boot from the stock amp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
What kind of plugs are on the end of the wires. You might have to take a pic and post it here so we can see what they look like.

Antony815

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy holden calais
There's the plug.

Theres the plug mate.

Thanks Antony

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 881

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Not to sure but i would say they are high level inputs, so you would need a amp that has high level inputs or someone like greg to mod your deck.

You can use line level coverters but they dont give the same quality as true RCA outputs. if you are only running a sub it might not matter so much.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Theres the plug mate.

Thanks Antony

They are high level inputs from the left hand rear and right hand rear speakers.
I was trying to match up the colours from your picture to my diagram. It's a bit hard to see some of them in your picture, but I am pretty sure this is what you need.
If you can match my colours with the ones on your plug, you are in business. But you will need an amp with high level (speaker) inputs.
The wires you need are -
Yellow/light blue trace and brown/black trace are from the left hand factory speaker.
Light blue/orange trace and light blue/black trace are from the right hand factory speaker.
I don't know which is positive and which is negative, as it doesn't say in the diagram I have. You can work this out with a multimeter.

The two orange/light blue trace are +12 volts

The other wires are for the factory sub speakers and earths to the factory amp.

SS Hatchback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais, VT Calais, Torana
I wrote this down the other day when looking at the amp and door speakers in VY II, the colours are what i could decipher

Inputs to amp (polarity was taken from door speakers )

Brown/Black Trace = Right +ive
Yellow/Blue Trace = Right -ive

Blue/Orange Trace = Left +ive
Blue/Black Trace = Left -ive

Those colours were taken from the actual door speakers to figure which was left and right as it seems the wiring diagram says it the other way ?? So not sure if they have the diagram wrong or soemone played funny buggers with my car at the factory ? Either way hre is the rest of the connections

Amp outputs

Green/White Trace = Right +ive
Green/Red Trace = Right -ive

Tan/White Trace = Left +ive
Yellow/ Red Trace = Left -ive

Power Cables

2 x Orange/Blue Trace = 12v
2 x Black/Blue Trace = Ground

The reason i went hunting is because i had rear speakers working but not rear door speakers, i found someone replaced the rear subs with 6 x 9's and running straight from after market deck so original sub plugs are sitting under the parcel shelf, tested and they work also i tested the inputs to amp and i have sound , just nothing at rear doors ?? Going by the diagram the amp inputs and rear doors are in parallel so i can only guess that both rear door speakers are gone ? or there is a plug and someone unplugged them when installing the 6x9's. Ill be taking a trim off again soon and just testing the speaker then if all else fails start tracing the cables through the sill panel , anyone had the same issue before ?