Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] need help with stalling problem on a VS

Tez123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Hi All I bought a VS for my son in mint condition . with only 25k on the clock. for 2k 5 new tyres and rego till jan . it has a stalling problem . it is intermittent hmmm. i have replaced the fuel pump and filter Cam sensor the crank sensor the throttle body, the air flow thingy and the ignition module ( coils) and the computer in the L h side door area . it still will stall, it can go for a day without stalling then it might stall 5 times in a row . it only happens when you pull up or slow down for a roundabout . if you restart it will run rough for 30 seconds and it will hunt ( the revs will surge )for a minute the everything returns to normal . it drives like a dream otherwise . I have goggeled this prob and replaced parts as as i saw fit . but have run out of ideas . I appreciate any help

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Try the IAC and give the throttle body a good clean out

Tez123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
the throttle body has been cleaned but what is the IAC

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
It's the Idle Air Control Valve.
Think of the IAC as an automatic choke.
This valve is electronically operated by the ECU and provides extra air into the intake (by passes the throttle body) to compensate for extra load on the engine or cold starts.
It is situated near the throttle body.
For example.....When the car is started from cold, the IAC will open to allow more air in, so as the engine wont stall.
When the Air con is on and there is extra load on the engine, the IAC will open to compensate for the idle.
When driving and coming to a stop, the IAC will adjust the air flow so as not to stall the car when stopped.
Sort of like an anti stall device.
The ECU, in conjunction with the IAC and other components work together to maintain a steady idle no matter the conditions.
If this component is faulty and if it does not open to allow more air in, the engine may stall.
Or, if it is stuck open, the engine may have a higher idle.
If the motor in the IAC is jamming or faulty the idle can vary (hunting), as it cannot maintain smooth operation of the valve (pintle).

Tez123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
I have swapped the throttle body including the Iac from my VT but the VS still has the intermittent stalling problem I also swapped the Cam angle sensor and Air flow thingy we swapped the computers but both cars said NO .

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Are you saying that the VS has the VT throttle body on it?
If so, the idle may need adjusting on the throttle body.
What rpm does the engine run at?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Last edited:

Tez123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Are you saying that the VS has the VT throttle body on it?
If so, the idle may need adjusting on the throttle body.
What rpm does the engine run at?
I could not see any difference between the vt and vs throttle body and after I swapped them over their was no change in the idle of either vehicle both engines idle at 800

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Did any codes show up at all???? It can all be a bit daunting at first look, so if your not sure how to check the codes after looking at the link I posted above, just say so, and we can help and step you through it all, its easy once you know how, and checking these codes is very important when diagnosing any running problems with these vehicles, as theres so many different engine sensors etc that can cause problems similar to what youre having when they play up or completely fail..
Ecotec throttle bodies are all the same from VS through to VY. The inlet plenum was slightly changed from VS to VT as the VT and later models had EGR fitted and VS did not.

Last edited:

Tez123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
after much experimentation including changing the Injectors . it finally came down to fuel . if you put anything less than 95 octane in it it will stall if i put anything with ethanol in it it runs like absolute crap . wish i had biscovered that a few hundred dollars ago