Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with stock VT Calais radio, won’t work when smaller white plug in

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
Need help with genuine VT radio, I’ve installed a original radio back into my VT Calais, as I wanted the stacker in the boot to work again, my question is there’s two white plugs and the stacker plug, when I put in the smaller white plug almost nothing works on the radio (not even buttons) only the aerial and volume button works, but if I pull the white small plug out everything works including the stacker, what is the small white plug for? It’s factory as it’s in the harness and on the radio,
Also I’ve installed a statesman fascia at the same time, my question is there wires in the Calais somewhere in the harness or do I have to run the extra 4 wires, cheers,

edited: added a photo to show which plug i meant, the one in the red circle, cheers
back of VT Calais radio.jpg

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
They did have a wiring diagram on the top of the factory head units. They do VY/VZ.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
I think it goes to the BCM
Ah ok thanks, would you know the purpose of the plug, is it important in any way? everything works on the radio without it plugged in

my thinking was a bit off then lol, I was thinking possibly could of been steering wheel controls or to the Calais amp, the Calais had a aftermarket alpine unit which this plug was left tangling behind and the VT Calais has a VY thick steering wheel, which was the reason I left the plug out, thought maybe it couldn’t communicate with the wheel

o n another note would you know where the factory amp supposed to be in these Calais? It’s not under the seats (where I thought it would be) I know this as I changed the seats from grey to beige Calais seats, cheers again for the reply

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
In the Caprice it's in the boot on the passenger side behind a panel, you need to remove the boot lining to see it. I am assuming it would be in the same place in the Calais. I have no idea exactly what the BCM does for the radio.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
....I have no idea exactly what the BCM does for the radio.

Antenna control is one thing. Check out the YB73 connector in the attached wiring diagram.

1635762433581.png

Attachments

• VT Radio, Cassette & Power Antenna.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
Antenna control is one thing. Check out the YB73 connector in the attached wiring diagram.

View attachment 229067
Thanks, these diagrams are a bit confusing for me but I see what you mean about the antenna control on the BCM but I still have that plug left out and the aerial still goes up when the radio turn on

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
just had a thought, as previously said the VT Calais had-has a VY thick steering wheel when bought, at the time the buttons did not work as i thought because of the aftermarket stereo and i did not worry about it since because of this reason,

my thoughts are could the BCM having a brain fart because of the VY steering wheel?

VT Calais woodgrain interior.jpg
t

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
just had a thought, as previously said the VT Calais had-has a VY thick steering wheel when bought, at the time the buttons did not work as i thought because of the aftermarket stereo and i did not worry about it since because of this reason,

my thoughts are could the BCM having a brain fart because of the VY steering wheel?

View attachment 229156t
I think you need one of those converters (not sure of the proper name for it. So thats what l will call it).
The vy steering wheel controls are digital. Where as the vt controls are analog. So they need the converter box between the controls & the headunit. Something like that?
Just had a look for you. Check this out. Not sure this is the exact match? But , its a starting point for you.