Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with the damage to my car caused by illegal speed humps.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Drive thru at 45 degrees.

I have a question for you...My VC is lowered, but legal height...No matter what speed or angle I go over speed humps, it still hits....What do you suggest I do about it? And raising it isn't an option...After all, the car is legal height, so in theory the council/ shopping centre owners should have speed humps at the correct height for legal height cars

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It can't hurt to write and complain about the state of the road, if you can get other road users to do the same than they might pay more attention.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
What damages will you be claiming? Is it just scratched exhaust, or is there body/floor panel damage?
Just make sure the damage couldn't be attributed to anything else, or they'll wipe the floor with you.
Perhaps the damage was done when the OP demolished a keep left sign @ 80km/h as per their signature....

Are they signed speed bumps or ill installed washout?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Going back about 10 years ago, I used to get people coming in with damaged rims as a result of a poor road close to my work place....In the beginning the council was coughing up for the damaged rims (surprise surprise)

Kinda different with a broken wheel on bitumen, the cause/effect/damage is far more obvious. As for your exhaust, I know a lot of people have had luck bending their exhaust hangers so the exhaust tucks up closer to the floor pan if you haven't done that already.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Kinda different with a broken wheel on bitumen, the cause/effect/damage is far more obvious. As for your exhaust, I know a lot of people have had luck bending their exhaust hangers so the exhaust tucks up closer to the floor pan if you haven't done that already.

It bottoms out on the floor pan, especially around the centre of the car...The exhaust is as close to the floor as I dare...I've already had the underfelt discoloured near the firewall, where the extractors bolt to the exhaust system

The wheel situation....It was more buckles on the inner edge......At the time, the BA falcon and VX commodore were new, with their 17" and larger rims were coming into fashion....I honestly think part of the reason the council stopped coughing up for rim repairs, is it was common place for these rims to have the inner edge buckle all around the place....Not just as a result of one particular road.

Last edited:

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Go and see Jackie Chiles.

Attachments

• tumblr_mum4z4LMxl1qdq54bo1_1280.png
    tumblr_mum4z4LMxl1qdq54bo1_1280.png
    454.9 KB · Views: 88

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
They don't put speed humps on gravel roads, they be washouts, must of had a new grader driver..
Speed humps have to be painted and signed clearly to slow down motorist.
I be getting onto who owns the road, you pay rates for it so get on their case or buy a 4wd.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d be finding Australian standards for the speed bump. Then document what the speed bump you have is.

Then write the council about it and outline you have difficulty getting your car over it. Just facts. Keep it simple. Don’t even mention your car singularly. Everyone who accessed your property will have this problem.

Then they come back with an answer.
Favourable, that’s a win.

Unfavourable, then start documenting how your property is damaged.

Take your car for an inspection. Don’t tell them why, just want a written inspection. ($) No one wants to hear the story. They will just be doing a job.
Let them do it.

They are your elected representatives in council. Everyone has a boss so move up the ladder each step.
Get JackieChiles involved as a last resort.

They won’t go for lawyers straight away. It will get onto the desk of who ever heads up roads. They may or may not be dismissive of it. They have a boss.

Last go to local paper, media way down the line. They will be expert at showing up the ridiculous things councils do. No one wants to look foolish.