Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEED HELP :(

Liamvas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Ute
Having big issues with my 2006 VZ commodore..
I had a couple occasions recently where I would park my car and return with the key in the ignition but it simply wouldn’t turn over..
Nothing is wrong with the engine but the car doesn’t seem to recognise the key.
I’ve taken it to my mechanic and he seems to be able to get it started by using a terminal to the starter motor and a wire to the battery but he himself is stumped and so am I..
He scanned it and it only alerted him that the car is not recognising the key but I’ve had these issue prior to the key being cut.
Wondering if anyone has any opinions

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Have a read of this thread, particularly the last post - Pcm bcm vt commodore | Page 3 | Just Commodores

Are you able to lock and unlock the car? Is the metal ring around the ignition barrel making good contact with the metal dot on the keyhead? If not you may need to pry the ring up slightly.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Depending how old the key is,
Is the Key Genuine one or a Knock off,
Slip-ring not making contact,
There is a number of faults could cause that,
If your mechanic has scanned the the car,
What were the faults/errors/codes that been created/recorded ?
At least that can be a starting point.

PS: It needs to be in the VZ Forum.

Last edited:

Liamvas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Ute
Cheers for the heads up mate!
Yeah I can unlock and lock the doors..
the fault that my mechanic found was that the car can’t recognise the key..
I got a key cut last week by a locksmith but I lost my original holden key in rage of the car not starting in the cbd from the same issue I’m having now, keep in mind, 9 times out of ten it will start but there is a off chance if I drive it away from home I could be stuck wherever I park it.
If I knew how to muck around with cars I’d mess with the ignition barrel but I haven’t got a clue tbh honest with ya

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If I knew how to muck around with cars I’d mess with the ignition barrel but I haven’t got a clue tbh honest with ya

The ring is just the two pieces of metal around where you stick the key in, you don't have to take anything apart or off to get to it. Each one might just need to be pryed up ever so slightly and gently.

Waz888v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ls1 s2
Having big issues with my 2006 VZ commodore..
I had a couple occasions recently where I would park my car and return with the key in the ignition but it simply wouldn’t turn over..
Nothing is wrong with the engine but the car doesn’t seem to recognise the key.
I’ve taken it to my mechanic and he seems to be able to get it started by using a terminal to the starter motor and a wire to the battery but he himself is stumped and so am I..
He scanned it and it only alerted him that the car is not recognising the key but I’ve had these issue prior to the key being cut.
Wondering if anyone has any opinions
There is a sensor that's detects the key when u press the button most people don't know about it's under the centre of the dash it could be the problem but as for the ring on the ignition that's to charge the battery in the key sounds like your problem is the bcm but I have been known to be wrong