Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need ideas for worked VR V6.

VR ST3LTH

ST3LTH
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 commodore
Hey im pullin the donk out this week to get into it haha. Lookin a warmin it up abit, just want some ideas and opinions. making a list heres what i got so far.

*roller rockers. 1.8.1 i suppose.
* stage 2 cam
*supercharged vt injectors?
*heads shaved abit. mayb 20 thou or so? not to much as i would like to eventually turbo it.
*straight cut timings gears.

anyone got more ideas or prices? would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Hey im pullin the donk out this week to get into it haha. Lookin a warmin it up abit, just want some ideas and opinions. making a list heres what i got so far.

*roller rockers. 1.8.1 i suppose.
* stage 2 cam
*supercharged vt injectors?
*heads shaved abit. mayb 20 thou or so? not to much as i would like to eventually turbo it.
*straight cut timings gears.

anyone got more ideas or prices? would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

You don't need higher ratio rockers if you're going to get a cam done - they can grind in more lift. :yeah:
If you're planning on turboing it, get a suitable turbo profile with longer pushrods.
Head shave - depends what you're wanting to achieve, how much boost you're intending to run on what fuel etc. ie 10-12psi on 9.4:1 with 98 octane ok. Probably more boost on series II engine?
Straight cut timing gears?> they do em for old straight sixes, do they do em for the V6?? :hmmm:

Definitely decide what you want to do with the engine/car first, before starting anything.. saves alot of $$$ and time ;)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
For NA build: cam or rockers, don't need both unless you enjoy blowing money

For turbo build: stick with the stock cam. You can spend $500 on a turbo grind cam for bugger all results - when I was ready to turbocharge my VR 3800 in my VN, greenfoam and I went through a loooot of grinds (even so-called turbo cam grinds) and found most of them to provide lesser results with a 12psi cooled setup. I think the best one was a 10rwkw peak gain or so, with a slower quarter time overall.. was a while ago so I can't remember the details. Main point: stock cam is very nice for turbo builds so don't bother changing it :)

Sam

VR ST3LTH

ST3LTH
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 commodore
so if im planning on turboing down the track i should get rockers instead of a cam. ill want to run enough boost to snot off most things but also reliable, probably between 8-10 psi. will vt or vx supercharged injectors be sufficient for this o should i get larger ones?
thanks for help

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
so if im planning on turboing down the track i should get rockers instead of a cam. ill want to run enough boost to snot off most things but also reliable, probably between 8-10 psi. will vt or vx supercharged injectors be sufficient for this o should i get larger ones?
thanks for help

Yep I'd go with rockers if anything. Super6 (L67) injectors will be fine for this, you will need a tune to suit.
Also regarding turbo fuel pressure, I'd steer clear of rising rate fuel pressure regs. Keep the factory fuel pressure reg, upgrade the injectors as you have mentioned, and get a tune to suit, you'll be much better off this way.

Sam

VR ST3LTH

ST3LTH
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 commodore
righto, so ill get onto rockers and injectors this week. What about fuel pump, need to go larger or? And as for the shaved heads?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Leave your heads alone if you are planning 10psi or so I'd say, others may have more info on this though.

Fuel pump: Walbro GSS341 I think it is, this will be ideal. Whatever the walbro in tank pump is. Should be a fairly straightforward factory pump replacement, and at 255L/hr you won't be short of fuel supply :)