Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Info on LPG System.

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
Hey My Names Jonesy, i have a 2001 VX S pack dual fuel, recently i have been looking at getting a new air intake, but i am unsure if it will effect the gas system or not??? :unsure:

gregando

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
dont waste ya time wont do a thing because your gas plate on your throttle body is choking the #### out of the motor and slowly destroying the heads if they havent been fitted with hardened seats, i almost learned the hard way i bought a xu6 on gas when i got the motor rebuilt we found the exhaust valves had sunk about 70 thou into the heads so piss the gas off while you fit your new intake get ya power back and if fuel economy is what your after loose some weight in ya right foot.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Nothing will really improve performance on dual fuel (via intake efficiency) when you have the gas mixer ring on the intake pipe right before the throttle body. That is your worst enemy.

Save your money and spend it on either:
  • A car not on dual fuel
  • Converting it to straight, direct injection gas
  • Take the gas system out and run it on petrol, and avoid giving it a bootful to save petrol

Jonesy484

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers guys thanks for the help

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
Leave the lpg on - make sure you get a dual map memcal (not sure if VX has these though) so it runs better on LPG (increased ignition timing is the benefit) - fit a Blos LPG mixer off Ebay - to get rid of the gas ring restriction & use flashlube for the valve recession problem. I have a VS engine in a Hilux dual cab set up this way & there is NO loss of power - I have had runs with std VS sedans from the lights with 1/2 ton of softdrinks in the back of the ute - on LPG (admittedly I have a 3.7 ratio diff - but they didnt have the weight) & we stuck together all the way until the lanes merged. Lpg has been on for 70,000 k with the flashlube & there is no recession of exhaust valves at all. There is always an answer to a problem...if you look hard enough.. I am getting 15k per liter around town & 13 on the highway - even with the 3.7 ratio diff.. so there is a significant saving to be had..

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Leave the lpg on - make sure you get a dual map memcal (not sure if VX has these though) so it runs better on LPG (increased ignition timing is the benefit) - fit a Blos LPG mixer off Ebay - to get rid of the gas ring restriction & use flashlube for the valve recession problem. I have a VS engine in a Hilux dual cab set up this way & there is NO loss of power - I have had runs with std VS sedans from the lights with 1/2 ton of softdrinks in the back of the ute - on LPG (admittedly I have a 3.7 ratio diff - but they didnt have the weight) & we stuck together all the way until the lanes merged. Lpg has been on for 70,000 k with the flashlube & there is no recession of exhaust valves at all. There is always an answer to a problem...if you look hard enough.. I am getting 15k per liter around town & 13 on the highway - even with the 3.7 ratio diff.. so there is a significant saving to be had..

How do you know this? Do you take the heads off periodically?

Gas = Bin job.

Jonesy484

Reaction score
Members Ride
even driving on gas i can smoke a vs eotec so there is little powerloss with my system, i just like the noise that comes from a cold air intake, and i want to know if its going to screw with the gas system

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
even driving on gas i can smoke a vs eotec so there is little powerloss with my system, i just like the noise that comes from a cold air intake, and i want to know if its going to screw with the gas system

Any less restriction in the air intake May affect mixtures - but being a feed back system as you should have it will cope with it. Cold air intake is great for LPG...

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
How do you know this? Do you take the heads off periodically?

Gas = Bin job.

!5 years with my own workshop & fitting LPG for experience.... We do not have to take heads off - #1 example that springs to mind - we fitted heaps of lpg systems to vehicles with OHC & lifters such as Mazda Bravo utes - the first three they didnt want flashlube fitted & they paid for it as those three all suffered valve recession & they had to remove the heads for overhaul - any system that had Flashlube fitted & used religiously never had a problem.... We fitted them as insurance policies for every system we fitted & never ever had a problem with valve recession - I think that speaks for itself.

Jonesy484

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any less restriction in the air intake May affect mixtures - but being a feed back system as you should have it will cope with it. Cold air intake is great for LPG...

Cheers man thanks for your feedback, you work with lpg systems often? or have you heard of a cold air intake every being installed