Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need lowering to make 18's look good???

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
Hey guys, i'm thinkin of gettin a set of 18" VY SS rims for my car. I don't really want to lower it though, and i am therefore a bit worried about it looking awkward with those mags, at standard height. Anyone done this before, and left their car at normal height?

And also, before i go i was also lookin at the 18" VY SSZ rims, but i haven't seen them on anything else, other than the SSZ's. If anyone has them, please post up some pics to give me a hand so i can see if they look any good.

Thanks guys.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
either way it will still look good, but why do you have problem with lowering it?i have 18" Vyss rims on my car and only have fe2 but it still looks preey high at the back... but still looks good... but having bigger rims on your car than the stcok ones will take away abit of that distance between the guard and the tyre.

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
yea, the only issue i have with lowering is... well... money. so i'm going to try and aviod it if i can, and i'm just worried that it might look stupid with 18" mags at standard height, i've never really seen one before. if anyone's got any pics of a car at standard height with 17/18's, that would be a great help. Actually... you can cut the springs can't you??? Thanks.

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
it will look a little bit goofy without lowering it, im sorry, but it will. it'll also make the 18" rims you plan on getting look smaller than they are.
i wouldnt ever advise cutting springs, its just plain dangerous...i dont care what others might have to say about it....and its not all that expensive to lower a car properly anyway, i mean your spending $x amount on 18" rims.

T

tigga17

you can pick up a set of 4 lovell springs on the net for $300 at I think GT suspension. If you are willing to do the work yourself it will cut hundreds off your possible bill. you need to ask people that know if anything else will be affected or needs adjusting though

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
Mate you gotta lower it it does look a lil silly, i lowered my car first then got rims, its a better way to go about it...in my opinion anyways....i have a set of king springs at home outa my old Vs V6 i think there super lows or lows cant remember....but also it had a solid rear end not IRS....i would sell em for about 100 or so just a thought...Iam in the geelong area, then all you would need is shortened rear shocks about $1oo i may even have some at home id throw them in with the springs...But i am thinking your cars IRS so its no help to ya????

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
i have VY SS 18's on mine with standard springs. looks fine, but yeah lowered would be better.
i can get full side-on photos for you if you want. this is all i have at the moment.
car3yu.jpg

wheelss2gf.jpg