Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need more HP for my car ?

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
Not everyone needs speed. Besides when the VN first come out, the stock V6 was faster than any stock V8 before it from what I understand.

There have always been arguments that a large 4 cylinder can give 4 cylinder economy with 6 performance. And a reasonable sized V6 -- 3.8L is going to do fairly well on both the performance and economy side of things without needing to be as fast as a V8.

so you are saying your stock vn is going to beet my brothers xy 351 gtho? doubt it mate

Cleveland V8 in the 1971 XY GTHO Phase III produced an estimated 385 brake horsepower (287 kW)

Last edited:

INVSBL

Lazyboy Productions
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VY V8 BERLINA WAGON, 180SX TYPE X, LR DEFENDER 90
back onto the v8 band wagon before i leave, new v8's with displacement on demand will use less fuel then a v6 on the highway aswell.

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
Guess you missed the episode of Top Gear when Jeremy Clarkson pitted a 4.0 litre V8 BMW M3 aginst a Prius. The Bimmer used less fuel! :smoking:

but thats a 4 litre, 6 litre is a lil bigger

Andrew_Guppz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International 2009
Hi tariq,
Air hammer Cold air intake from Holden are $480 they are cheaper online though from the Air hammer site.

Also Mace Cold Air intake manifold insulators they are i think $150 or somewhere around that mark and they claim to add 10hp to a car they have tested them on. They are forum sponsors otherwise just type in mace engineering in Google.

If you didn't want to go Cold Air intake try an aftermarket air filter i put a K & N one in my 09 VE V6 and it made a noticeable difference for only $99

Help this helps you out a bit.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
so you are saying your stock vn is going to beet my brothers xy 351 gtho? doubt it mate

He said that a v6 can return good economy and performance WITHOUT being as quick as a v8

And your brother is stupid to be driving a half a million dollar classic around

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
He said that a v6 can return good economy and performance WITHOUT being as quick as a v8

And your brother is stupid to be driving a half a million dollar classic around

na only a mockup man haha

Not everyone needs speed. Besides when the VN first come out, the stock V6 "was faster" than any stock V8 before it from what I understand.

nothing in that sentence about economy, all i can see is "WAS FASTER"

affinity

Reaction score
Members Ride
International (Dual Fuel) VE MY10 Sedan, 3.6L 4A

Cleveland V8 in the 1971 XY GTHO Phase III produced an estimated 385 brake horsepower (287 kW)
Fair call, but the GTHO is in a different class. I'm sure that there are other examples, but at much higher cost than a standard family sized car.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Guess you missed the episode of Top Gear when Jeremy Clarkson pitted a 4.0 litre V8 BMW M3 aginst a Prius. The Bimmer used less fuel! :smoking:

In "some" circumstances it will yes.

I've also seen quite a few clips on youtube of a celica beating the **** out of a bmw v8 lol :blah blah:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
back onto the v8 band wagon before i leave, new v8's with displacement on demand will use less fuel then a v6 on the highway aswell.

Nice work troll.

The AFM in the new V8's are absolute rubbish, hence why alot of people on here and the ls1 forums remove them. The adr figures, real world driving etc, show the v8 to use more fuel. Around town and on the freeway, the only time a stock V8 will use less fuel to the same years v6 is towing a few tonne's up a hill.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
read what the bloke above said mate, yea you might get 6-7/100km, but that is granny footing it, v6 your gonna have to rake it out alot more to get the acceleration you do out of a v8 at half throttle? half throttle usually uses less fuel than full throttle when i went to school

What planet do you live on??

I said fwy driving, who uses FULL THROTTLE ON THE FREEWAY???

:banstick: