Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need new brakes..

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
hey guy's, i'll be doing my brakes in 2 weeks time, i'm just going to do the front for now, and maybe just chuck some new pads in the rear.With the front, the discs need replacing, or at least machining back, so my question is
Fit new replacement standard discs with pads?
Or, hunt down an upgrade of some sort at the wreckers
This is also the first time i've done anything brake realted, so obviously something i can do myself, without getting stuck and having to spend money paying someone to fit things for me
Also do the front springs have to come out to change the brakes?:thumbsup:

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
springs can stay were they are......

if ya not doing anything performance wise stay wth standard rotors and callipers..
they are easy as piss to do...\

also nearly cheaper to buy new discs then have em machined. so just buy newies

and lastly they are easy as :)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I dont know too many people who dont want more performance out of their brakes....if you were going to buy new parts for your brakes id go with a vt upgrade with slotted discs and youll need hubs too and hunt the wreckers for secondhand vt calipers but its a bit more expensive and I did and never looked back but you would probably have to do something in the master cylinder area too.... if youre on a budget go with the machining of your old discs(15 to 20 a disc) and some good pads(qfm superx or better).

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
did the vp v6 with different marster cylinders compared to the v8

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
it look like its going to cost about $40 to machine the disks back, and yeah VT BErlina, like you said, i can get new standard discs for not much more than that. So i think that it what i will most likely do. It would be good to upgrade the, but i reckon that can definately wait, as i am on a budget.. Pad wise, for standard discs..Brands like feredo and the other cheap ones at supecheap, repco ect..are they any good? or should i just go to Holden for the pads and discs? Thanks guys..oh yeah, with new discs, and pads, will my old calipers be ok?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Depending on how much hunting around or spending you want to do, I find Ferodos work fine for daily use. I personally run their mid-range pads on the front of my VQ when I'm on a budget, and they'll stand up to about 10min of hard punishment through the hills before they start to fade :) They also have a very long life, and are easy on rotors. The only downside, is a LOT of brake dust.

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
im running DBA slotted front rotors with Bendix ultimate pads and standard rears. pulls up pretty well.

George

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Don't buy Bendix, the markup on that **** is horrible. More than 100% on top of cost price.