Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need opinions

brockyy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hey everyone. My 94 Auto VR has a lot of problems that have all come about just recently -
Engine dies occasionally while driving
Splutters occasionally on acceleration
Slips gears on hard acceleration, not even full throttle
Battery light on a lot of the time
Oil light flickers sometimes during hard braking, when changing gears and when at a stop.
There's suspension issues and clunks.

Ordinarily I'd sell the car or parts for whatever I can, but this car has sentimental value and I don't want to get rid of it. So I'm really not sure what to do.

Will check for codes this week when I am able too. From there I'm not really sure what to do. I can't be spending money on things I don't need!

I'm planning on taking it to a reliable mechanic and hopefully get a list of everything that's wrong with it. But I don't want to get ripped off. So any opinions or tips on where to start? What would you do?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
What to do?
Buy a manual and start learning how to test and repair stuff yourself, if that's not an option then take it to one of 3 recommended mechanics for a quote and start spending up big, if you don't like your choices then I suggest it's time to say goodbye to your old friend.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
If it was me Id go with the big ticket items first..oil light and trans issues.... cheap options is a oil filter and oil change and a trans service, if no change ditch the b*tch...if its a really micky mouse body and interior and really really sentimental look for a low k's donor car for an engine and trans transplant

brockyy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
If it was me Id go with the big ticket items first..oil light and trans issues.... cheap options is a oil filter and oil change and a trans service, if no change ditch the b*tch...if its a really micky mouse body and interior and really really sentimental look for a low k's donor car for an engine and trans transplant

Got a new oil filter last week, and had an oil change. Trans service is next week. But thinking I'll probably need a new transmission. Interior is good, body is good just a couple chips. Will start shopping around for engine and trans, just worried about buying one that has been cleaned up before sale but runs like ****.

Cheers guys I'll figure it out. Will probably stick with the car.

conp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSV8
None of that stuff sounds to severe to me. Probably the car has just been let go and then problems accumulate. Just find a honest mechanic close to home and take the car to him for an appraisal.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
brockyy05;[/QUOTE said:
Engine dies occasionally while driving
my bet would be crank angle sensor, not to expensive, if you do it yourself, and not overly hard.
brockyy05;[/QUOTE said:
Splutters occasionally on acceleration
also could be crank angle sensor, plugs, leads, coil packs, and tps. id renew them in that order
brockyy05;[/QUOTE said:
Slips gears on hard acceleration, not even full throttle
service it, it's fluid is too low or it's time for a new box
brockyy05;[/QUOTE said:
Battery light on a lot of the time
probably brushes in the alternator, fix for less than $5
brockyy05;[/QUOTE said:
Oil light flickers sometimes during hard braking, when changing gears and when at a stop.
oil level low or too thin.
brockyy05;[/QUOTE said:
There's suspension issues and clunks.

Could be a number of things, but if done yourself, not overly expensive, start with the worst parts first.

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
Check all wiring plugs in the engine bay first of all, disconnect and reconnect a couple of times each just to make sure all are making good connections, then look elsewhere as Kingswood country posted.
The tranny slipping might possibly be the sandwich plate not the bands and for under $100 it might be worth doing it anyways.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Suspension would most likely be the Sway Bar Links.... Cheap and real easy to replace. I think $30 from Autoparts store and 30 mins to fit.

Also check the error codes, might help you with Trans and Engine faults (All you need is a paperclip)
How to check Error Codes
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

Vehicle's Error Code List
Just Commodores - For All Your Holden Commodore Needs
Edit: Sorry I didn't realise you said you were going to check error codes in the original post

Last edited: