Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need pro help with SV6 exhaust....

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Yep thats a cat bak system, just bolt it up.

jazza10

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Commodore
did the same to my sv6. just replaced the sv6 cat back with the ssv cat back system... made very minor changes... my advice to you is to do a straight pipe system... in the course of installing the cat back system i first took off the muffler and the tips behind it. then went for a drive and sounded great.. so im going in 2 weeks to get a straight pipe system..

Cazzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks HolenOn

i will most likley get a 2.25" catback and bolt it up myself.

Jazza i was thinking of doing the same, unbolting **** ans drivin it to see if its good. but i thought straight pipes were illegal or sounded **** as???

where are your pipes straight from?? where the 2 large mufflers are at the end its just one pipe??

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah its your bet bet, any bigger and you will loose allot of back pressure, causing a loss in low end torque. I think a twin 2.25 system is about right for an na 6.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
The back pressure would be caused by the cats thought wouldn't it?
There are kits on eBay to replace the rear mufflers with straight through pipes and J pipes to eliminate drone.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Never put in a J pipe, biggest piece of over noisy droney crap in existance and from the cats back still has a decent impact on back pressure. Uf you want minimal drone get rear resinators

Cazzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
lol **** be crazy now, me tryna understand all this jargon

what is a resonator....

so, what are the names of the things i need to get for the best loud sound quality???

2.25" Catback...... then resonators?? or like the straight pipes... :S

and what is the rough cost???

the catbacks are like $500 but all this other stuff

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
A cat back system includes all this. On your exhaust you have your main mufflers, just a bit past the catalytic converters, then at the end of your system towards the tip you have another "muffler" the resonator, it basically smooths out the sounds and quietens it a little. Other wise you can just have straight pipes from the mufflers in the middle, however that will be louder and tend to drone(depends on the motor but i believe sidi motors are bad for it), so i would get a system with the resonators to kill some of the drone and keep it police friendly.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
A cat back including the resonators should only cost around $100 odd more than a straight through system, so say roughly $600. Installing it is no different.

Cazzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
So the resonators are the big boxes at the very end of my car where the tail pipe is??

Ive seen under my car on a hoist, and was trying to figure it out, so what are the 2 hotdog looking mufflers that are right up under the driver seat called?

Thanks!! so around $600 and ill get a 2.25" catback and some resonators.

none of this will require modification yea? jus bolt on, including resonators and go nuts??

Thanks for the helb bro