Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need quick advice on VN

JGlinatsis

Ratty
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8 V6
Hey i just need to know the best way to get the ball joint off my power steering rack going to the strut so i can change it, its never been taking off in its life and its a real pain in the ass any advice?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
if you dont have a split fork or "pickle fork" get 2 hammers and knock the joint on both sides in unison, should eventually drop out.... always works for me.....

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Try to aim your hammer where you can imagine the shaft of the balljoint "intersecting" with the steering knuckle on the inside. Usually more toward the bottom of the knuckle than up the top.

Hit from either side, NEVER strike downward, you'll just break things.

Sometimes you have to hit a few times, sometimes you're there all day. But it will eventually fall out ^_^

Basically, the balljoint burrs like an old valve stem and becomes stuck in place, so you have to strike it from all sides with a hammer to flatten out the burrs and allow it to fall out :)

You think that's fun, try a lower balljoint on a 200,000km old strut ^_^

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
I think you're talking about the rack ends not the ball joint, A pipe wrench over the cap covering the rack ends (you'll see two groves either wide for a big spanner)

If you mean ball joint, as above, It's never nice to remove them.

damn thought you were dead, gonna have to cancel the flowers... welcome back!