Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need serious help with my engine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hi guys, i know i’ve been posting in this forum like crazy ever since i got my new secondhand engine.. it is a 3.6 alloytec.. just wanting some second opinions before i go putting it in my car.

i had a look under the lower intake manifold and noticed that the valves in 5 cylinders are closed like this:
C68E9C63-E5A9-46F2-BCC5-D23E375819B2.jpeg

yet the valves in the last cylinder are open like this:
AA7EB9A7-6027-4E4B-9EA3-4EF510F33E32.jpeg

any ideas anyone?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Mate it's difficult to see anything in thise pics but what is that brown **** on the back of the valves?
If you shine a light down the manifold you can probably take a clearer picture.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they can be open or closed depending on where the cam is durin its rotation, as mentioned id be more conserned with the crap in the inlets which could be in the cylinders in the opend ones

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Are you saying that the valves in that one cylinder just don't close at all - even if the engine is rotated? Or is that just a static view where 5 cylinders happen to be closed and one is open. Have you thought about lifting the rocker covers to see the condition underneath?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
The top pic is simply that cylinder is on the intake stroke (intake valves open) and the second pic is that cylinder on the compression or even exhaust stroke (intake valves closed). Nothing to worry about there. A lot of crap in there -i'd be grabbing the vacuum cleaner@

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
See it all the time once inlet manifold is off, seems to be the position the 3.6ltr shuts off in