Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] need some advice

gtnoddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series III statesman
okay so a couple of days ago i went to melbourne to purchase a vs series 3 statesman 5litre and the situation is the car was not registerd as the owner cancelled the rego so i then got a unregisterd vehicles permit to drive back to adelaide. Now my problem is i want to know what goes on with regency because i know that if the car is already registered they just do an id check and a look at the car then you transfer it to sa plates but mine is not registered so what happens next i havent yet called regency but would like to maybe hear some suggestions thanks....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If SA is like some other States, your car would need to undergo a detailed roadworthiness inspection at an authorised inspection centre. I have no idea what applies down there, so my comments could be wide of the mark. In NSW, there are rego inspection stations that examine unregistered vehicles and issue a blue slip, I think from memory, which you then take to the motor registry to get the car registered. Those stations are NOT the regular inspections stations where you get a rego renewal pink slip - they are specially certified to issue certificates for vehicles which have been unregistered for lengthy periods or are being registered for the first time, such as a home-built box trailer. Perhaps in Adelaide, you would have to go to Regency to have the inspection carried out.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Nope to the above, its not like other states in that way.

You will just need to take the engine number and vin number to SA transport and get a form to fill out.

Then you will have to take the car to a police station to get them to check the engine and vin numbers.

Then go register the car, you will also need the receipt for the car.

Only reason you have to go to regency is if the car had a defect, then you would have to get a roadworthy inspection. If the car was a repairable write off you would have to get a tier 3 inspection and a roadworthy inspection.

I bought one of my cars unregistered from NSW and got it registered here, it was SA Transport > Police station > SA Transport.

My other one I bought written off from VIC, it was Regency Park tier 3 > Regency Park roadworthy > SA Transport.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
okay so a couple of days ago i went to melbourne to purchase a vs series 3 statesman 5litre and the situation is the car was not registerd as the owner cancelled the rego so i then got a unregisterd vehicles permit to drive back to adelaide. Now my problem is i want to know what goes on with regency because i know that if the car is already registered they just do an id check and a look at the car then you transfer it to sa plates but mine is not registered so what happens next i havent yet called regency but would like to maybe hear some suggestions thanks....

depends where you live, but you will still need to undergo a vehicle ID check, this could be at regency still (or lonsdale etc), but wont be a full inspection, but they do check obvious things like height, wheels & tint. If it fails these they can send you for a Regency 'full inspection'

gtnoddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series III statesman
thanks for the advice ill give it ago a and hopefully it works so i can get my 5litre on the roads hehe once again thanks

gtnoddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series III statesman
Nope to the above, its not like other states in that way.

You will just need to take the engine number and vin number to SA transport and get a form to fill out.

Then you will have to take the car to a police station to get them to check the engine and vin numbers.

Then go register the car, you will also need the receipt for the car.

Only reason you have to go to regency is if the car had a defect, then you would have to get a roadworthy inspection. If the car was a repairable write off you would have to get a tier 3 inspection and a roadworthy inspection.

I bought one of my cars unregistered from NSW and got it registered here, it was SA Transport > Police station > SA Transport.

My other one I bought written off from VIC, it was Regency Park tier 3 > Regency Park roadworthy > SA Transport.

what i did was i went to motor reg and got a permit to drive the car to regency then regency looked at the car but my tint was to dark which it was not but he seemed to think so and the tail light was cracked and apparently that is dangerous but when i go back on monday with the tint and tail light to their requirements they will pass me and then i can register the car

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Ah, maybe cos I was regional SA I just went to the police station. They didnt check anything apart from the VIN and took my word for the engine number because they couldnt see it.

Just passed the VIV/tier 3 inspection too, it was at a bus station and a guy come down from Adelaide and checked it all over in 1 hour, you have to leave your car at regency for 6 hours or so for a VIV inspection :p

I was lucky I passed, in the report it had everything that needed fixing and it had a little paint missing off the rear bumper and some scratches. I just left it like that. He said its in the report that it needed to be fixed but let me off because it was only cosmetic but he would have had to fail it if he went by the book.

Nice to hear its a simple fix for you though, are you removing the tint your self or getting someone to do it? I havent tried but heard it can be a messy job if you dont take the windows out.

slidways

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
There are two diff sections of regency park 1 is the "PITS" with is were u have to take ur car if u get major defect and the other is a simple vechile ID checking station located at a diff premises in regency park. They can fail ur car and defect it at the ID station but normally if u roll up with a stocko car u'll be on the road in no time. This is all diffrent in regional areas as all u have to do is roll up to the cop shop 4 ID checks and defects