Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some help or Advice with my VN S1 S2 V6 motor

wilso108

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Caprice VK Calais VN V6
Okay this is my first post and first off I just want to say all you guys are legends, iv been reading this forum for years and from all you people I have fixed, modified, repaired and saved thousands on all of my Holdens.

ill try keep it short but you the full story

my car is a VN S2 but the previous owner took the motor out and put a S1 engine in... I don't know why..
since I got the car I put in a T5, short shifted it, lightened flywheel, sports clutch, rebuilt diff, lightened driveshaft, genie extractors, straight through 2.5'' lukey, upgraded injectors/fuel pump, coil packs and a few more things but no internals have been upgraded.

okay so here's what happened took the car for a burn, red lined a few times got home
and the next day I took my misses to work and drove off my street the engine went bang I lost all power, loud ticking/tapping maybe even a tapping thud sound from the middle of the top of the motor.

that was 11 months ago, I haven't had time to see what was wrong with it..
I just bought a perfect VN s2 motor and trans with 120-XXXkm on the clock
(I don't intend to use the auto I like the T5)

I don't know a lot about the VN motors so I want to know
what should I do to my new motor while its not in the car and easy to work on, e.g. gaskets, baring's, seals and just all the things that brake down from factory or things I should fix in the engine bay before it goes in.
or if you have any idea what might be wrong with my s1 motor I would be interested in getting it going while I replace stuff on my new motor.

Cheers
Blake

EazyVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I'm only new to the forum to but I have lots of experience with commodores. Some of the basics I think you should replace while the motor is out would be new tapet cover gaskets, new sump gasket, new water pump and gasket, and a new serpentine belt for good measure. All these things have caused me grief on both the Buick and ecotec engine. The alternators aren't great but they're easy to change even with the motor in. :)

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Your flywheel will not bolt up to the S2 motor crank flange. See this thread.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/v6-crankshaft-info.63206

Im guessing the previous owner wanted to converted to manual with a s1 donor car and also found this out so changed the motor as well. Off memory all you need is a S2 flywheel to fit it. Engine wise I think you need to change your radiator and some coolant lines im not to sure on that part but the engine is not a straight swap. Memcal in the ECU will also need to be changed if it is one of the earlier (1989) S1 engines, they came with a slightly different cam.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
how do you know the car used to be the later engine and was changed to the early "series 1"? some of the plugs that mate up around the fuse box and battery are different on the early models, a part that connects directly to the engine bay to dash loom.

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
All loom can be easily (depending on skill) modified. But can you confirm the date on the build plate and will be able to tell you what motor it should have.

wilso108

Reaction score
Members Ride
the vin number is 6H8VNK19HLL414018

model vn8vk19-114
built MAR 90
engine LG2

I should have been a little clearer
it was originally a AUTO but when I got the car the trans was buggered and after I went through three different automatic trans
(not through me trashing them I was told they were good trans but they were buggered)

I got sick of changing them so I bought a manual and after trying to fit it I found out it was a series 1 auto motor which has a different crank to a series 1 manual motor
but because I was told its a series two car I bought a series 2 manual trans kit
so I had
1 series II 8 bolt flywheel
2 series I 6 bolt fly wheels, I bought one and the same day my old man bought me one but didn't know I just got one

Iv seen that thread before when I was going though the head ach of trying to figure it all out, that's why I was able to buy an adaptor plate to bolt up the series 1 manual flywheel to the series 1 auto crank

it was my father that I got the car off and he got it from the guy who bought it brand new and he told my father the engine went in it and he got it replaced with a motor that had lower km's on it but didn't say he replaced it with a series 1,
so this was my very first car and I didn't know it was a series 1 motor because I was still learning about the VN, but I can tell the out side difference of a series 1 and 2 now

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Im not sure with that date, either wait for someone to reply who knows or go looking for the thread in this section that had all the updates and at what date they were done. Its a old thread now but I remember it and it had some good info.

wilso108

Reaction score
Members Ride
okay just had a quick look on wiki
and it says this
"In September 1989 the Series II of the VN Commodore was released with the EV6 motor. Some of the changes included a new cast exhaust manifold, new camshaft sprocket profile and timing chain" plus some other stuff..

well my car was march 1990
so I'm guessing its a series 2.. their are a few badges on the car that say series II aswell
I couldn't find anything out about what series motor should be in their from the vin and the other codes either.

in anyway I will make this car work with the new motor no matter what, its not impossible I want to drive this car again and get my 800km to a tank of gas back at the moment I'm only getting 350km to a 60lt+ tank on petrol if I'm feather footed in my vk Calais 202

wilso108

Reaction score
Members Ride
but back to the question what things should I replace in my new motor
iv made a list so far
1 complete gasket kit from ebay coming in soon
2 welsh plugs
3 complete hose kit
these are the only things I can think of
but are their any barings or other stuff I should do 'In' the motor before it goes in the car??

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
I wouldn't even bother with welsh plugs personally and that's the only one that you really cant do in car. Anything else like thermostat, temp sensors and stuff can be done later if you don't want to check/change them now.