Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some help please car misses and shudders when accelerating

Dan366757

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs calais V6 Auto
Hi, went for a drive today and went round a corner put my foot down and the car started missing but its only when pushed quickly i can still rev it if i go slowly on the gas, i checked the error codes when i got home and all i got was a 12 which i know means everything is fine, i have read stuff about leads and plugs but im not sure if it is that because i was driving fine yesterday, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated im a little worried about damaging my engine, its a ecotech to btw, sorry for the long story i hope it makes sense thanks in advance daniel

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Probably leads and/or plugs and either can fail overnight. Easy enough to replace yourself even if you've never done it before. Cost will be under $100.
ps...your story ain't long - short ones always leave things out!

Last edited:

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
yea plugs can fowl up real quik that is if they fowled

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
my car did exactly what you said once, ran fine if poddering around, but as soon as you punched it, it would stutter and run real poo, turned out I had a vacume leak.

Just another possibility.

Dan366757

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs calais V6 Auto
thanks for that hako and dynoryder ill check my leads and plugs tomorrow when i get a chance, it might be worth replacing them anyway.

Dannyboyds thanks bud how would i check a vacuum leak?

holdenrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
where could we find the vacuum leaking? i still have this problem for while!!

Dan366757

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs calais V6 Auto
another thing i would like to know to is, is it gonna cause any damage to my engine to drive around because i have to do a bit of local stuff tomorrow and i have to go down to the central coast on wednesday its about a 45min-1hr trip.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Take it easy and it "should" be OK but that ain't no guarantee....and it will use more fuel and run a bit hotter although if it runs smooth on a steady throttle then it should be OK. I'd also fill it with premium fuel for no other reason than to give it the best chance.
Plugs and leads would only take an hour to change so keep that in mind....if you're not happy about changing them yourself why not buy the plugs and leads from SuperCheap or Repco etc and see if you can get someone to change them - they will be more happy to do it if you have the parts AND it's a cash job. Have your wallet in front of them with a fresh $50 bill sticking out when you ask them....always helps.
It could also be something else as DannyboyDS has mentioned...maybe a vacuum hose dislodged, blocked fuel filter or even an injector playing up - just a process of elimination with the plugs/leads in my opinion (FWIW) the prime suspect.
Good Luck.

Dan366757

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs calais V6 Auto
cheers hako, im alright with mechanical stuff and i can definatly change a set of leads and plugs, when im at my old fella's tomorrow i will get a multi meter and check the leads and that anyway and ill have a good suss around before i go anywhere in the morning, thanks again mate.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
there are a few ways to find vacume leaks.

First just do a physical inspection of the vacume hoses comming off of the inlet manifold, check them for cracking, especially around the mounting points.

You can use a length of hose like a stephiscope and listen for a hissing noise also.