Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some help with my VT

hayward

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS Gen III
Hi all I have had my VTSS now for about 2 and a half weeks and it was a present from the hubby. I started it up yesterday and got a squeal noise that was constant from the pulley area and it stayed constant until I got it home. I tried some WD40 on the belts which did not seem to help but when I put some water over it stopped for a bit and came back. Had the same issue this morning and I took it for a 20min drive parked up but left it idling for about 10mins and then not one sound all day she was running like normal, and then bang tonight noise was straight back, does anyone have any ideas because it is driving me a tad crazy and any help would be great. Thanks

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Spray water on the belts, if it quietens up, then replace the serpentine or a/c belt.

I had a slight squeal in mine. Replaced it with a Repco one, still made the noise. All signs still pointed to the belt, so I got a Dayco one and the noise went away.

capitalgainz

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 berlina gen3
is it a gen 3 or 5.0l.
either or, without seeing the car my first assumption is loose belts, i know on the gen3 the aircon serp belt gets oil on it and makes this noise.
you could try soap on the belt and see if this works.
wd40 is a lubricant, you are better off using soap or belt dressing on the belts, if its not the belt then you need new pullies and or tensioners, i would recomend replacing all, water pump and belts so you don't have to later.

hayward

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS Gen III
It is a Gen 3, the water made it silent for about a minute and a half and it was most noisy at around 2000rpm but sounds bad even when driving, ill give the soap a try and see if it works. Is it normal though for something like this to start making noise and then stop? Because it was great all day after I let it sit and idle did a decent drive and it sat out on the driveway from about 4pm and then tonight the noise was back. I thought most noisy things in cars tend to stay that way constantly until fixed? Thanks for the info though

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Might be the bearings in one or more of your idler pulleys.