Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some info...

gordo881005

unholy confessions
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Storm2
I put the ute over me pops pit the other day, to find out if i could see what was making the fronts tires shudder back and forth, and i got a couple of images i wanted to swing by you guys, to see if you could tell me for one..."What is it?"....and 2...."Is it a problem?"...Let us know...
Cheers.

Attachments

• ute1.jpg
    ute1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 184
  • front bush.jpg
    front bush.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 169

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The first picture is the lower sway bar link ball joint. The rubber seal is stuffed so the ball joint is possibly knackered too. The link should be replaced unless you find the joint is still tight and you can replace the seal. That would NOT make your front tyres shudder - a stuffed sway bar link joint will just rattle annoyingly.

The second picture is the stabiliser link front damper bush. It's filled with hydraulic oil and will leak if it's stuiffed. There is no sign of leakage from that bush and it appears to be ok.

There are numerous things which can cause the front wheels to "shudder" Some of them are badly balanced tyres, worn steering rack or tie-rod ends and clapped out shocks but the one which comes to mind most easily is warped discs, a common fault with VT-VZ Commodores. Warped discs are very easy to diagnose.

Does the steering wheel vibrate when you are driving or only when you apply the brakes? If it only occurs when braking, the discs are the most likely culprits. If it brakes without any shuddering, check the other suspension and steering items I have mentioned above.

gordo881005

unholy confessions
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Storm2
So do we have part numbers i should be chasing up? i want to get this sorted so i can go back to normal

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
get tyre balanced and checked over closely by eye for flat spots from being unbalanced too long

check wheel bearings
you know jack it up and spin tyre should be smooth

good way to check tyres for unbalance without machine is too swap tyres front to back and see if it makes a difference~!