Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need someone online asap

3800_man

Hey guys, when someone comes online today can u plz tell me where the thermostat is, and how to replace it or link me to a similar link, thanks

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
mate series 1 or 2??? not sure with the series 1 but im guessing under the throttle body where the top hose goes into the block. If its a series 2 its the same except its on the front of the motor. Just look where the top radiator hose goes and thats where you will find it. There will be a thing you have to undo to get to it... I take it that its a 6.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
ohh and to change it you just undo the 2 bolts holding the thermostat housing on, that should just fall off maybe a little bit of pressure. (make sure its only 2 bolts first) then the thermostat will just lift out. You will need to replace the gasket as well. Dont forget that, you may also wanna use some gasket cement on it so no leakies..

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
series 1 at the back below the throttle body and elbow, only one bolt but is a prick of a think to get out as the housing somtimes corrodes in there and you sometimes break it getting it off, i did mine not long ago, i bought a new thermostat and housing straight away, just in case. but yeah follow the top hose and you should find it. just pull the old thermostat out and put the new one in

cheers, nick

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Haha im trying to remove mine atm, to do another Modification and let me tell you that its a bitch to rip off we tried for a long time... I think you need to get the hammer out and give it a bit of a tap..

Heres some photo's should direct you easier..

Series1 Thermo Location

S

steve_sarge

I had a S1 Manual VN a while ago and had a loose water pipe into the thermo housing. I bought a new one straight away and f#%@&ed around for quite some time to get the (single) bolt out of the housing.

After this VN parted the family, we bought a series 1 wagon and not long after we bought it, I needed to do a gasket overhaul as it was losing water into the inlets from the manifold "Valley" gasket

My suggestion would be to get yourself a bit of gasket paper, for the throttle body, (just incase of course) and remove the throttle body. This is quite simple, even the amatuer could handle it. this should give you a good shot at the thermostat housing too.

make sure the O Ring that seals the Thermostat housing is in servicable condition too before installing the housing again and give it a small smear of some form of rubber lubricant so it slides into place nicely without being dislodged.

The best thing Holden ever did, IMO, is relocate this to the front of the motor.

Hope this is of a little assistance

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
in a series 1 they are at the back just under the trottle body. one 12mm bolt holds it i think but they can get ceased in and accidently broken out even with the bolt out seen it done a couple times.(the thermostat comes out easy just the houseing that is hard) i think i even took my throttle body off to make access easier. good luck.

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
anton1o said:
Haha im trying to remove mine atm, to do another Modification and let me tell you that its a bitch to rip off we tried for a long time... I think you need to get the hammer out and give it a bit of a tap..

Heres some photo's should direct you easier..

Series1 Thermo Location
haha i used a hammer a rubber malet and it ended up breaking but just as lond as it came out i didnt care by then. lol.