Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need SV6 info!

m00n3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
Hey guys im looking at buying a SV6 and found that they were rather cheap for a late model car. I just wanted to know a bit of info on them from SV6 OWNERS, could you guys list 3 things you like and 3 things you dislike about your SV6 and also the fuel economy and mods your currently running and some 1/4 mile times!
your help is much appreciated thanks!

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i got a 04 sv6(which is for sale by the way)

smashes all other 6 cylinder commodores
uses next to no fuel (and thats from a p plater)
big and roomy
all colours look hot(besides silver)
cant remember how many times earlier gen111 drivers ask if its a vy or vz sv8 or if its the 6l
lots of gen11 parts bolt up to it, eg intake and exhaut(besides exstractor/headers

dislikes
its not manual(reason for sale)
sounds like a v6
pre 05 modesl dont come standard with lsd
takes 7 1/2 litre of oil at service time
doesnt have cool flip out cup holder(hard to fit aswell)
sits high in the arse end(lowering fixes that)

overall i love it but i cant wait to sell mine to buy a manual one:driving:

m00n3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
i love the sound of a worked six, sounds nice

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Fuel economy my sits around 11.2L per 100km.

They seem a bit 'submarine' like...I've had g/box leaks, power-steering hose near radiator and I noticed that their is oil seepage near the middle of the diff.

Fit a set of the 'police-pack' brake pads if you buy one...dusty but brakes much better than the normal pads.

Goes like ****-off-a shovel when required and the paddle-shift is fun when you get used to it.

Expensive tyres $300+ for the factory Bridgestones :( and doesn't come with a spare alloy :( :(

Tom/WA

west55

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Hi
I also own a 04 SV6 auto with 38,000km.
- Auto gearbox, partcularly in sports mode on light throttle openings, but not so good when you overtake on full throttle and pull back in and lift your foot as it drops back a gear hmmmm.
- Fuel ecomony. GREAT for a big car. Av. 11.4lt/100 around Canberra, and out on the highway (Canberra to Cooma) 8.9 - 9.2 lt/100.
- Safe handling. Sporty up to 7/10 then will understeer. Great in the wet as well.
- Motor has great torque. No need to rev the crumpet off it to make it go.
- No real warranty issues. Other then the usual leaking auto transmission pipes. (Holden should be shot for this!)
- The looks of the vehicle. I still think its the best V series!

Dislikes:
- The noise the motor makes when you get up it a bit. Very coarse sounding. No exhaust note either.
- The brakes. They do the job, but have no feel what so ever.
- The suspension. Look, it feels sporty, but it really does lack a bit of quality and finess! Drive the new VE and you will understand what I'm talking about here?

No I'm not about to trade up to the VE. My opinion is that with a decent set of springs and koni shocks and a change in bar sizes I can make it handle and a new rear muffler to give it a bit of a note, I'll be happy!
Sorry, no qtr mile mods, none planned either.
Cheers Ian

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
naf33n,

I disagree dude...

Quicksilver looks sweet in the SV6...I'm not a fan of turismo much but then I like impulse.

Guess it just depends on personal preference.

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
Had my sv6 for 2 weeks :yeah:

u cant compare previous holden v6's to it what so ever

auto trans is quite possibly 10 million times better than the previous one

ie: in power mode if u punt it the car will hold revs after you back off and then downshift as u break keeping the revs above 3k (this is in d for drive with no paddle) i couldnt believe it an auto that actually provides usefull engine breaking on its own

also with the box in normal mode with the stereo on i had to check a couple of time if the car had shifted as it is super smooth

with paddles on ive kicked it back a gear to far 2nd at about 80 and been driving along at 4k rpm before looking at the tacho and gooing oops :yeah: it really is that smooth

Interior is awsome compared to my VX S - but thats probably just the leather option

DISLIKES:
17's are sporty but i dont like the style

dont like the rear wing on them i hate having things in my rear vision mirror took me alot of getting used to

actually i dont dislike anything about it really as a wing + wheel design is a personal thing

My 3 1/2 cents

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
twb1979 said:
naf33n,

I disagree dude...

Quicksilver looks sweet in the SV6...I'm not a fan of turismo much but then I like impulse.

Guess it just depends on personal preference.

i think turismo only looks good on monaro's and ute's.

as for the quick silver im more into the darker silvers almost grey sort of thing. i think holden has gone with a darker silver for the ve range.
i dont no what it is about the silver i really like white but the silver doesnt do it for me. but as you said it just depends on personal preference

the odd thing is though, ive been looking on the net for a manual vz and the majority of manual sv6's are silver???

one more thing my first car was a fully sick bodykitted lancer(no rear spoiler) and the rear vision is absolutly shocking in the commodore compared to the lancer and pretty much any other car ive driven except for a CRX there pretty bad aswell

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
naf33n,

Forgive me for asking but are you from WA?

I saw an Impulse SV6 tonight on the way to work also with the SV6 decals on the bottom skirt just in-front of the rear wheels.

rgds

Tom/WA

malscar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSv6
Rear vision is quite poor. Surfboard on the boot doesn't help. Would be better with the version on the SS. Mileage is not as good as the VS. The standard ride height is actually too low as you will catch the front spoiler on a lot of things. The car was lowered from the previous model. As others have said, you get a steel spare rated at 80kph.