Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need to change gearbox need advice/tips

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
ive got a 89 VN the gearbox has a worn out belt and slips alot i plan on replacing the gearbox my self can someone walk me thru the process on all the parts that i will need to remove and how heavy are these things? its an auto
all help much appreciated

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Hi mate,
I've gone through this process not too long ago with my 91 VN. A few mates, myself and a 3 day weekend with some piss got the job done. Firstly I got the car up on 4 ramps by driving the car up on 2 at the front, then i jacked the arse end up and placed ramps underneath the rear wheels. From that I can remember we disconected the exhaughst from the 'y' branch to make it easier.

We disconected as much of the muffler as needed and then remeved the tailshaft fully by the bolts at the dif. I then unbolted the oil pan on the base of the GB and drained all the tranny fluid out of it to make it less messy and lighter.

Um, make sure to disconnect to kickdown bacle from the throttle body when taking the other one out.

Disconnect the fluid lines, remove the dipstick tube. Now you can probably start to unblot the bolts that conect it to the motor. make sure you dont rip the bolts, can be bad, lol.

Try and have an extra trolley jack handy to suport the gb as you undo it, bearboxes arnt too heavy, but do pack some weight, im not a big guy but you will need atleasy another guy or 2.

I havent done it for a while and i just came back from a long trip, good news is that i may be doing it once again since the one i out in shat itlsef, so if i do do it again will be sure to help you out even beter, that all i can think of right now. Soree, lol

churnit

Cheap parts!
Reaction score
Grab a gregory's manual from a local library for a walk thru procedure, otherwisw just keep undoing stuff until it comes out.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
it's not too hard to change a transmission. as Churnit said, grab a manual.

two important points tho:
1. have you changed oil/filter? this will often solve the original problem and is a darn sight cheaper and easier than a full trans swap.
2. what are you putting in? if you're going to that trouble, make sure the new tranny is up to the job. this really means buying a reco one.

vn2nv

Reaction score
when changing a filter and tranny fluid to a tranny that apparently is slipping, isn't it detrimental to the tranny in the future? I have heard people say that when they changed their filter and fluid etc, the tranny failed. Is that a possibility?

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
havent changed the oil the gasket has a leak so i keep on topping up the oil is nice and clear red colour ive owned the car for 6 years never changed the GB also tryed some special oil for slipping/stiff GB's this didnt work either if i sit at the lights with a red light for more than 1-2 minutes the car just revs wont move once i do get it going next time i stop at lights i need to keep on reving the car in neutral than it drives but still has slippage