Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need to figure out unknown

br77

Reaction score
Members Ride
na
hello guys,

i replace my car battery recently, and my 2016 is driven only once a week. key wouldnt unlock the car in the first few seconds, but afterwards its fine. if i go to shopping mall park it for few hours, key unlocks the car instantly.

it seems the car is in a sleep mode if i dont drive it for a week, what could be the cause?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Key fob battery?

br77

Reaction score
Members Ride
na
problem is the key works fine if the car is parked for only few hours.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
hello guys,

i replace my car battery recently, and my 2016 is driven only once a week. key wouldnt unlock the car in the first few seconds, but afterwards its fine. if i go to shopping mall park it for few hours, key unlocks the car instantly.

it seems the car is in a sleep mode if i dont drive it for a week, what could be the cause?
This can't be doing the car battery any good. I'd be putting the battery on a trickle charger when not in use.
Can't be doing any of the systems that rely on power much good at all.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
If you’re not going to drive your car often, using a trickle charger like the Ctek MXS 5.0 is a good way to ensure your car battery is looked after. The VF is very electrical and needs the battery to be at full ‘strength’ to ensure faultless start. Things like the way how your key unlock or lock is playing up can be a result of a battery losing voltage. The trickle charger, regardless of whether your battery is at fault or not, is a good investment especially if you only drive once a week.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I have one, & use it.
I don't drive very much.

I should have been clearer...I was referring that to the OP :)

br77

Reaction score
Members Ride
na
thanks guys,voltage is monitored to be around 14.3 when start up. remote start acts strong once unlock the car. cannot imagine the battery voltage demands more on unlocking comparing to remote start

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
My director sits in the garage without charger and is fine when I start it after 5 or more weeks.